WTB 87-90 MJ chassis wiring harness.

87mjdriver

like title says.

my fuse block is dead I need a whole chassis wiring harness. from the block to all plugs.

the only pick n pull yard doesn't have one, the junk yards that do have them are ar the kind that they go and pull stuff, like I am gonna pay

for the time it takes to take out a chassis wire harness.

any body got ones???

Allen

I guess you have a point, the harness does separate at the firewall. Let me look at what I have, I recently acquired a harness from automan and it just might be what you need. I just need to see if it's intact where you need it to be or not, I know it had a few things cut from it.

I am looking for the full harness both sides of the firewall. I already have a good engine harness coming( seperate issue).

to $500 mj let me know what you got.

To auto man, could you find out the the specifics, auto or 5 spd, see if he still has it maybe I could deal with him directly.

I was affraid it wold be a bit of money

could I use a cherokee harness, whats different between the the xj and mj?

I am looking for the full harness both sides of the firewall. I already have a good engine harness coming( seperate issue).

to $500 mj let me know what you got.

To auto man, could you find out the the specifics, auto or 5 spd, see if he still has it maybe I could deal with him directly.

I was affraid it wold be a bit of money

could I use a cherokee harness, whats different between the the xj and mj?

Look at the Milwaukee, WI CL for it. I pulled parts off the truck before they scrapped it, and know them well. It was an '89 4.0L 5 Speed 2WD. He's got the interior harness to the tail light connector I believe.

You could use an XJ harness, but you will have to add wires for length, and change the tails somehow, as XJ's have dedicated turn/stops, and our's do both.

Rob L.

if your fuse box is bad from corrosion...save yourself the dicking around of getting another 5 speed harness since it's going to have had the same issue at some point in it's life with a leaky master cylinder.

dash wiring harnesses are direct swap from auto to manual, and vice-versa. above that, a 2.5 and 4.0 dash harness is the same if it's the same era jeep.

the auto trans wiring is actually part of the engine bay wiring, even though it's in the cab. otherwise, the dash harnesses are identical.

roundabout way of saying it, but all you need is a dash harness, and you should be looking to get one from an '87 to '90 4.0/auto. you don't need the complete tail wiring harness, either, since that is also plug and play.

I just went through this on my brother's '88 mj. got a dash harness from automan's '87 automatic mj, and swapped it in. aside from the radio connector being different (87 and older, 88 and newer radio connectors), there wasn't one single thing that was different.

doing the actual swap is simple. remove knee board and vent cover, bezel, all electrical components, unbolt column from upper support and let it hang down, disconnect anything underneath, unbolt the fuse block and unbolt the firewall connector, remove the two 15mm bolts on each side of the dash near the kick panels (take out the kick panels, too), unbolt 4 5/16" bolts up by the windshield, and pull the dash out. remove old wiring, lay in new wiring, zip-tie it in, and put it all back together.

3 or 4 hours for a first timer.

oh, and if you have a dash clock, unless it's the same year harness as your mj...it won't work. there were several different dash clock designs. you can swap the pins around and make it work, but it won't plug and play.

and do you *need* to replace the rear harness, or were you just under the impression that it was all one piece? like I said...the dash harness is seperate from the engine harness, and seperate from the tail light harness. it connects to the engine harness at the firewall behind the fuse box, and connects to the tail/rear harness in the driver's kick panel.

cherokee and comanche harnesses are nearly identical, save that the cherokee's switch connectors are wired differently, so you will only be able to re-use the factory fog light switch connector, and the power/comfort switch if you had and auto. and you have to wire in the cargo light switch if you have that option.

aside from the switches, the kick panel connectors are different, but easy to make a crossover harness, or just splice to the mj dash to tail connector, and to make your brake lights work you have to add one wire to your turn signal switch (it just isn't there in the xj harness...you can cut it out of the mj one and wire it up).

look up mfpdm's wiring charts in the DIY subforum...that will give you some more insight.

well I guess I need the fuse block and the cab side harness, the only hiccup I have is (and it might be due to the fuse block) the PO ran a seperate power wire back to power the tail lights. I guees I could start with the cab side harness.

It would be alot easier to do that. and it will probably fix your issues...