Gas tank problems solved. Thanks

a while back my fuel pump went out so i had to replace it. I bought a new one and installed it with alot of effort :ack: . anyway i replaced the o ring and everything and had a really hard time getting the whole mechanism to seal back into its hole but i eventually got it. ever since then the gas tank has leaked profusely if i put more than half a tank in it. i know exactly why its doing it, the seal has to be messed up with that o ring. the question is what is the correct way to install this without it leaking? i did the whole swap without dropping the tank but if its necesary i can. I really need to get this fixed. is there some kind of a trick to doing it right or is it just a hit and miss kind of thing? thanks for any input

I've done this many times and never had a problem. I always use a new o-ring. Use PLENTY of Vasoline to hold it in place. Make sure the groove where the o-ring rests is good and clean.Tap your lock ring a little at a time and evenly on each tine until it is fully seated. Take your time. I suggest a brass punch.

Tap your lock ring a little at a time and evenly on each tine until it is fully seated. Take your time. I suggest a brass punch.

yeahthat.gif

...or a nice stout wood block/dowel. No sparks. Don't know if brass would spark, but I'm paranoid about xploding gas tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

i used a new o ring when i put it back together, i just think it didnt seat where it belonged. thanks for the help guys. It's supposed to be warmer this week maybe i'll get out there and crawl around for a while and try to get it right again :ack: . and one more question, how does the vasoline work? just use it like glue to get the oring to stay where it belongs? thanks alot :yes: :thumbsup:

using grease accomplishes two things. It is sticky so it holds the o-ring in place while you're lining everything up, but it also works as a lubricant so while you're tightening the locking ring, the o-ring doesn't get snagged, distorted, or even ripped by the lock ring.

I would definitely look there; not too many other places to have a big time leak.

Good luck.

• 8 months later...

Its been a while but i finally got this fixed. the problem was when you slide the whole fuel pump/float into the tank there is a little socket that the pipe on the end of the fuel pump goes into. i is hard to see, and even harder to get into place. You should probably drop the tank to do this, otherwise you will have problems like me :ack: thanks for all the help, the vasoline thing worked really well :thumbsup: