Rear axle noise

I was getting weird noises from my latest acquisition, a 1986 MJ. When I backed up it made a grinding noise. When I backed up, stopped and then went forward it made a very loud clunk.When I went forward tromping on it it chattered. Otherwise no problem. I have a set of axles I removed from a 2001XJ so no problem. Just swap assemblies. Cut off and rewelded the spring perches as needed. Raised and blocked the MJ so I could drop both axles at same time. Crawled underneath and started spraying everything with rust penetrant. When I got to the left side of the rear axle I found my problem. The 2 UBolts had come loose, one was broke allowing the housing to move about a inch and half. Replacing the broken one and tightening the other one solved the problem. Never heard of a UBolt coming loose before.

some times happens when u bolts get re used.

And just one more reason that used U-bolt should never be reused!!!

The price of new u-bolts is a small price to pay for the safety factor of new u-bolts.

Agree with the not reusing ubolts. However I think the real point to be made here is that a 25 year old vehicle needs and should get a bumper to bumper inspection every so often and especially before highway use. And not just a walk around eyeball. Jack that mother up and physically check, shake, pry every fitting, assembly, moving part on it. To quote my old first sgt. " A word to the wise is sufficient"

:agree: I give my Jeeps and inspection before I go wheeling as well as first thing in the spring. I also check the brakes after any wheeling trip before heading home(especially if there was deep mud). Still learning myself but most of it is common sense and regular PM on our vehicles.

The 2 UBolts had come loose, one was broke allowing the housing to move about a inch and half. Replacing the broken one and tightening the other one solved the problem. Never heard of a UBolt coming loose before.

That's why I always double-nut them. :D