Converting to 4x4

I have a chance to get a rolled 87 4x4 shortbed with a 6cyl and a five

speed. Will the trans work on my 86 2wd 4cyl 5sp. Should I just put the 6cyl in my 86?

The 87 has 3.07 gears can I use my 4.10 rear and have the front axle

changed to 4.10? Who make the gears for it. Any thing else I should

know?

Putting the 4.0 in your 86 is a pretty big project. How badly was the 87 rolled? You'll need the whole front clip basically. Radiator mounts, hood I believe fenders too. They lengthened the engine bay in 87 to accomodate the 4.0

You can regeaer the front axle, but the cutoff point for the D30 was 3.33 or 3.73, you'll have to get a new carrier for it to go 4.10. Might want to just consider a locker at that point.

Trannies won't swap easily, but you could make it work if it's an AX15 behind your 2.5 Better option is to pull everything from the 87 and swap it into the 86 (engine, harness, 'puter, trans and t/c) You can leave the rear axle in, and just swap the 2WD front beam axle with a 4.10 D30.

Add driveshafts and enjoy....

Jeff

The transmissions behind the 2.5L/2.8L and 4.0L do NOT interchange. They have a completely different bolt pattern on the back of the engine. If the rolled truck was really, REALLY cheap (free or next to it), I'd probably still buy the wreck, but I'd hesitate swapping the drivetrain into the 86 unless I had a whole bunch of time on my hands.

Jeep on!

--Pete

As a rule, true Pete. But, you can mate an AX15 to a 2.5L using a late model Dakota bellhousing and a machined CJ pilot bearing, and a clutch/housing from something (non-Jeep, Camaro maybe??) There's a huge thread over on Pirate with a full write up from a guy who did it.

I've toyed with the idea for mine, but that'll be a "down-the-road" project :) Gotta keep setting goals, ya know?

Jeff

Not too much work at all, if you don't use those parts from the '87. Just keep your 86, swap your tranny for a 4WD version, add a transfer case and a front axle, plus driveshafts :-D

Got any decent junkyards near you that you can get parts from?

Jeff