Cargo light

I have 2 ?'s about the cargo light. One is, is there a way to make the cargo light a 3rd break light? Because that would be kinda cool to have both. And my other ? Is, are there light bulb up grades to make the light brighter? I have heard that they are not that great at lighting up the bed. Also if any body with a cargo light has a pic of the light on a night of what it looks like that would be nice. Thank you!

Brandon

Sent from my iPad

First, I am unaware of any reasonable way to modify the cargo light to also function as a 3rd brake light for several reasons:

1) You would need (at the minimum) to run a wire from the cargo light positive wire to the brake light switch and find a way to interrupt the current so it would illuminate when the brake pedal released the switch and, you would need to find a way to bypass the cargo light switch in the dash to allow current to pass thru it (when it was switched off) so that the cargo light would come on with the brakes.

2) The lens is clear, and most states require the 3rd brake light to be red.

It would almost be easier to install a surface-mount thin line of body-grounded red LEDs under the existing cargo light and run a seperate power circuit from the brake light switch. Then, you would have solved the majority of the issues.

Second, the blade-type contacts inside the cargo light pretty much allow you to only use one type of bulb. This does not mean that you could not change the contacts, but why mess with a stock item that is so difficult to obtain? It might be easier to mount a small driving-type light inside the back of the cab pointing outwards to the bed (with a switch on the dash). If it was directly behind the drivers seat you wouldn't even see it most of the time.

Sylvania makes a brighter buld for the cargo light, but I wouldn't use two of them at once as they burn hotter then the standard bulbs and might melt the lens.

Ok thanks. I'm having a cargo light shipped to me very soon and had a few ?'s b4 it got here. I did understand the point of the light being clear b4 I posted I was looking for somthing I could toss together. Thanks for the idea and will have to look at trying that. And about making the light brighter, I will look around the autozone to see if they have any thing but you do have a very good point about heat. Ill let ya'll know

Brandon