Swapping RANCHO heim for a MOOG TRE.....

In case anyone needs this, here is the part number for a MOOG Tie Rod End replacement to the RANCHO HEIM joint on their track bars. My heim lasted about 10,000 miles before it bagan to clunk.

The replacement part I found is, MOOG part Number ES2847RT from a Dodge truck.

According to the Moog catalogue, its the ONLY one that will work, it has the same 3/4-16 thread as well as, the same 1/2" tapered joint as factory Jeep track bars. No other modifications are required. You will still have an adjustable track bar.

I will post some pics when I actually put it in later this week.

CW

In case anyone needs this, here is the part number for a MOOG Tie Rod End replacement to the RANCHO HEIM joint on their track bars. My heim lasted about 10,000 miles before it bagan to clunk.

CW

Thats because the Frame end is designed wrong... Which way does your suspension travel??..... Up and Down.....

Where to get the most movement from a Heim????... When it spins around the bolt..

So why put a bolt vertical, when the most travel comes from it being horizontal????

My advice to you... Is forget about putting in a TRE.... and just build a bracket fromthe stock frame bracket that allows you to bolt the heim horizontal..

You will get way better flex, and the joint will actually last longer as its now being used as it was intended!!!

HTH

Ryan

Someone sells a bracket that does just that using a tapered stud that bolts in to the TRE hole and has a horizontal shaft for the Heim. I remember seeing a couple of pics on NAGCA of them. Unless a couple people homebrewed the same set-up.

CW

Thats because the Frame end is designed wrong... Which way does your suspension travel??..... Up and Down.....

Where to get the most movement from a Heim????... When it spins around the bolt..

So why put a bolt vertical, when the most travel comes from it being horizontal????

My advice to you... Is forget about putting in a TRE.... and just build a bracket fromthe stock frame bracket that allows you to bolt the heim horizontal..

You will get way better flex, and the joint will actually last longer as its now being used as it was intended!!!

HTH

Ryan

Thats a VERY interesting idea!!

I kinda doubt it would make it last longer as the forces on it would be the same side to side, but DEFINEATELY would get better up and down!!!! Maybe it was weakened by up and down, but the movement in it is a couple thousands either direction. I kinda think the nylon incert is compressing rom the driving forces holding the axle centered.

The MOOG TRE is my best bet with out modding the bracketry.

I just have to get the flaming RANCHO incert that eliminates the taper from the hole out!!! The only way I can see is to destroy it by collapsing one side to reduse its diameter with a chisle/punch. There is not enough of it there to grad ahold of and you cannot get at it from above to drive it down, because of the limited space...

CW

Ryan is 100% right. Hiems are noot meant to side load like that. Thats why just about all of the HD trac bars you see out there use a double shear mount with the movement being up and down. Also look at all the buggies and rock racers.... you don't see them mounting their hiem joints horizontally.

not to mention that mounted in single shear like that isn't the best for the trackbar mount. If you flexed to the point of binding the heim you'll tranfer all that stress to the botl and the mount. It will either break the bolt, or tear the mount out of the unibody.

That's pretty good, actually. The POS Chinese TRE on my Rusty's adjustable track bar lasted less than 4,000 miles before the truck was uncontrollable on the highway.

That's pretty good, actually. The POS Chinese TRE on my Rusty's adjustable track bar lasted less than 4,000 miles before the truck was uncontrollable on the highway.

mine lasted about 1k highway miles then it literaly broke and the axle began to move to a side and the jeep would follow it. thankfully i had stock bushings and not heims, side movement was limited enough that i didnt crash.

i also have a rock krawler Track bar (wich i didnt think was that great) and it weighed nearly twice what the rustys one weighs. but i got a TNT customs trackbar put on and wow is this thing a beast. rubber bushings are great!