242 not shifting into 4wd

I just got a '90 XJ for a donor and when I shifted out of 2wd all I heard was the gears trying to engage and free spinning. I have the NP242 transfer case. I tried 4 FT, 4 PT and 4Lo then back into 2wd. Nothing the truck wouldn't move. I hope this is only linkage related, anyone have this problem and what possible scenarios could it be??

It's pretty much rust free, I haven't got a chance to look into it yet but I thought I would get some good ideas from you guys before tackling it. If it's out of adjustment why can you cycle through all gears and back and not get anyone to sync up? I was thinking shifter fork or something?? I haven't looked into the case so I don't know exactly how they operate.

I adjusted the linkage per the directions but I think it's to sloppy and won't travel into 2wd after adjustment. I have a linkage for a 231 from a '93 cherokee I think that's the same. If I am wrong please feel free to let me know.

That would be nice. So what's different about the linkage? Is it a different size? I don't see what could be sloppy but the bushings you mention so they aren't bent. I won't be messing with it in the truck but I just wanted to test the truck's transfer case for all gears and doing it manually from underneath is a real pita!! It rarely goes into gear without the linkage holding it into place.

On another note someone has already been into the transfer case at least once since the screwdriver slot is marred. There is also a blue painted bolt and rtv on the machined surfaces. I will still pull it apart to check the condition of it. What should I look for?