Attention mj owners

87mjdriver

I viewed jcr's website and watched there video of them in the shop. I spotted a mj on the lift. so I asked what was up.

They are working on sliders for mj's and a rear bumper keep your eyes open in the future. maybe give them a buzz and let them now there is a mj intrest.

allen

I goofed maybe this should be posted in a different topic section

I called them and they said mid December they would update there website and post it here as well or that is what the guy said tonight when I called also I asked the price he thought would be around $280. It looks like there planning on one like the stage 2 slider for the Cherokee with the tube I thought this would be great since I am shorter and getting thing out of the back of my truck is some what a pain. One more thing to add to my wish list along with the bumper and steering jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

i don't care where its posted. all i know is that i want both!! ill shoot them an email, thanks!!

My style sliders where pretty easy to make.

Do you weld or have a buddie who does???

CW

i don't own a welder, nor do i know how to weld. i know people that can weld, but they are not good enough. I'm sure i can find someone in my club who could help me out if i get them a pizza.

I strongly reccommend taking a Vo-tech welding class if you don't know how to weld.... especially if you go wheeling. Granted this isnt going to teach you to be an expert welder.. but it will teach you the basics.. then you can start building your own parts... Thats how I learned to weld... Then you will be acquiring tools... and making your own junk.

I am working on a set of rails for either Casper.. or the Smurf ( blue 2 dr xj).. I have about 25 dollars into the steel (used 2x3x3/16, and for stand offs SCh40 1x5x.25) I might have a grand total of an hour into making them so far.. And maybe an hour to go before they are ready to be painted and mounted.

I strongly reccommend taking a Vo-tech welding class if you don't know how to weld.... especially if you go wheeling. Granted this isnt going to teach you to be an expert welder.. but it will teach you the basics.. then you can start building your own parts... Thats how I learned to weld... Then you will be acquiring tools... and making your own junk.

I am working on a set of rails for either Casper.. or the Smurf ( blue 2 dr xj).. I have about 25 dollars into the steel (used 2x3x3/16, and for stand offs SCh40 1x5x.25) I might have a grand total of an hour into making them so far.. And maybe an hour to go before they are ready to be painted and mounted.

Thats a good idea about VIOTECH!!

I am kinda self tought welder. I took it years back in HS. Migs make it easy to run a nice bead. I couple friends as welders to ceitique dosent hurt either. :brows: :brows:

Any way, poop pipe rules for this stuff!!! jamminz.gif :D

Thats what moxt of my junk is made from. Its perfectly fine for non life saving items, like bumpers skids sliders, swingouts etc. Just a big NO NO for roll cages.

I say make friends and get that welder over. You buy the pizza and beer he welds!!! If he's using a mig buy him a roll of wire as well!!

I'd be happy to give some suggestions if that would help. Email me @ brian@jonfund.com

CW

I think everyone should own a lincoln barn burner. If you can stick weld you can weld anything :brows: They are cheap... mine was 220. Then I made a dryer extension cord... that was kinda pricey at 150 for wire and plugs, but I have 100' cord that won't drop any current, then 50 bucks for a nice Hand cart to transport the welder around :brows: Then you can buy rod holders or make them out of PVC pipe with caps and ends... works great for keeping rods dry.

CW my only problem with a MIG welder is.. to me it doesn't get enough penetration as compared to a 6013 rod, even though bumpers, rockrails and things like that are non structual... I want it to be there long after I am gone :brows: Ask Jeff how over built Pongs Old bumper was... there was more weld and added bracing then needed, and it showed in the weight. All of it was 1/4 and the mig just doesnt get 100% penetration on the weld

\

CW my only problem with a MIG welder is.. to me it doesn't get enough penetration as compared to a 6013 rod, even though bumpers, rockrails and things like that are non structual... I want it to be there long after I am gone :brows: Ask Jeff how over built Pongs Old bumper was... there was more weld and added bracing then needed, and it showed in the weight. All of it was 1/4 and the mig just doesnt get 100% penetration on the weld

depends on the MIG. any of the big 3 companies welders in the 175/180amp size will burn 1/4" plate in a single pass.

but yes, arc welding (and O/A!) will teach you to weld much better

I was looking into a MIG welder for the ease of use, and I have friends with stick welders I can borrow.

What kind of current would you recommend to do 1/4" in one pass?

I'll be going 220, and the electrical panel for the house is in the shop w/ a 200 amp service.

I was thinking something in the 220v/30amp supply range.

I do not know the model mig I have, but I bought it used from a guy at the hospital who wanted a 220 unit. The paperwork says its rated for 5/16 steel.

He bought it in 1998 for $1200 bucks, its a snapon unit.

I started with .30 wire but find the .35 stuff is better for the poop pipe I use!!! PLENTY of purdy colors on the inside. So penetration is not a problem at least on up to shc 80 poop pipe!! :brows: :brows:

CW