Grand Cherokee Tire Carrier

Was at a yard Thursday. Saw a 94 Grand Cherokee with a swing away tire carrier. The carrier was mounted to the right end of the trailer hitch with a large bearing mounted on the rear bumper. The lock point for the tire carrier was attached to the tailgate. Looked like a factory kit.

Anyone with a factory part number? This looked to be adaptable to a Comanche with a factory class three hitch.

Will try to post pictures later.

I saw the swing-away carrier on a XJ in the yard down here, but the mounts were on the right-side quarter panel. It had a large pin that engaged the bumper, with a lever for releasing it.

I'd love to have it, but could not see how the quarter panel was reinforced so that it did not pull throught the metal.

Best of all, they only wanted 16.00 for it.

I saw the swing-away carrier on a XJ in the yard down here, but the mounts were on the right-side quarter panel. It had a large pin that engaged the bumper, with a lever for releasing it.

I'd love to have it, but could not see how the quarter panel was reinforced so that it did not pull throught the metal.

Best of all, they only wanted 16.00 for it.

Normally there's a threaded re-enforcing plate behind the panel that the mounting bolts screw into. I've seen them both spot welded so when you remove the bolts the plate stays in place, and loose, so when you remove the bolts it falls either to the ground or inside the body depending on construction.

There is a good how to at MADXJ (www.madxj.com). It is under Tech articles- tires/wheels. Lots of pictures. Frankly, it is not usable for the MJ. You can not get to the inside of the bed wall to put the required supports in place. Also you would need to take the XJ bumper because it has lots of extra supports for the tire carrier.

I saw a tire carrier on a Grand Cherokee that looked interesting. Will post pictures when I get home.