have a ?

hello everyone, i just installed a 4.0 out of a 1997 i used the intake, front parts, and header from my stock 87 motor. i pulled the old one because of a rod knocking. it still had great compression but the bottom end was trashed. long story short the newish motor feels gutless. it has 88k on it. the old motor was very sluggish and backfired when it was cold. also it would accelerate slowly when i held the throttle steady like it had a surge of power. the 97 motor is the same way but no surge just the sluggish feeling. any ideas on how to fix this. it has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and a new belt. thanks for the help.

mark

Hmm... I know the stock '87 block has a hotter cam, but the later blocks have better heads for flow. So now you have an engine with a weaker cam, and the old restrictive intake setup... I would start by modifying the correct intake to work on that engine... Might help it breathe a bit...

Rob L.

i seafomed it as soon as i put the motor in. it has the distro from the 87 block. i did not want to use the head from the old block becouse it looks like someone dumped a gal of tar in the intake...lol well i will look in to moding the 97 intake. thanks for all the help and hope everyone has a great holiday seasion comanche.gif .

new route. i am going to put the head off the old motor on it after i get it hot tanked and cleaned at the machine shop. then i will also install the new springs seats and locks that come with my new comp cam. i am going with the same one here.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K68-232-4/ i have read both the comp cam site as well as talked with some local jeep guys and they all say it will wake up the old jeep. hope it all helps i love driving her. if this does not work look out novak hear i come. here is a pic of the old jeep... let me know what ya think...

mark