How is the rear panel carpet attached? Pics??

When I was at the pull a part today I found an MJ with the carpeted panel on the back of the cab. I didn't have a lot of time to play with the truck (very tight schedule the weekend before Xmas) and, since it was the wrong color, I didn't mess with it. It did lead me to wonder exactly how the panel was attached and perhaps if I could cut one down from a full size Chevy, etc to fit. Does anyone have pics of the OE carpeted panel on the rear of the cab and/or can explain how it attaches?

The little threads that are welded to the back of the cab have little spin nuts that secure the cardboard to the back of the cab , the carpet is glued to the board and the there is a plastic trim piece covering the top .

That screws in with the B pillar molding . Yes they can be made but the plastic piece is MJ specific , might be hard to find a certain color .

You could always go back and pick up that panel, since its for an MJ, and get it re-covered, or re-wrap it yourself.

Its held in by a couple nuts on each end by the b-pillar trim, and then there are some 8 MM bolts on little steel tabs that secure it to the floor. Super easy to get out. The plastic above it just pulls off.

Rob L.

My truck does have the plastic molding under the rear window (2.5-3" tall and runs the width of the window). Is that the MJ specific piece you're referring to?

Yep . I'd go with Rob and say snag it up , carpet and glue is cheap but the cardboard in good shape is priceless ... :yes:

Actually the rear side panels are held on by the nuts, the panel has two metal "tabs" on each side that insert behind the side pillars, then there are two metal brackets at the bottom that bolt to the floor. Their location is where the carpet or rubber floor covering has tabs cut into them. The brackets look like this.

Good info on the metal tabs that hold the carpet on. Unfortunately the truck will be crushed long before I make it back to Columbia. We were there for a quick trip and I had a very limited amount of time to run around the jy. I'll either have to find something closer to home or see if I can make or pick up the tabs.

There's a good and bad side to a find like that. Good side is I grabbed the MJ sending unit...bad side is I regret not having enough time to thoroughly pick that truck over...