2.8L reliability

I'm looking into a 86 MJ 4x4 with a 5 speed not sure which one and a 2.8L with a factory roll-bar this would be my DD till i could get time this summer when I am off from school to work on it and get into better shape. but right now I am wonder on how reliable the 2.8L is the PO said the motor had been rebuilt and only had 30k on it I don't know a whole lot about jeep most things i work on are 2wheel drive and go fast like our family's 1971 440 Scamp drag car so I was just wondering what your guys thought are on it thanks.

I'm looking into a 86 MJ 4x4 with a 5 speed not sure which one and a 2.8L with a factory roll-bar this would be my DD till i could get time this summer when I am off from school to work on it and get into better shape. but right now I am wonder on how reliable the 2.8L is the PO said the motor had been rebuilt and only had 30k on it I don't know a whole lot about jeep most things i work on are 2wheel drive and go fast like our family's 1971 440 Scamp drag car so I was just wondering what your guys thought are on it thanks.

the 2.8 is the v6. if you have a 4 cyl, it's a 2.5l.

the 2.8 is reliable...it will continue to run pretty much no matter what..but it won't ever run well.

My MJ 1986 4x4 long bed is powered by a 2.8L from a firebird and it's working fine. The AMC original engine is good but if you want to have a better engine install a Firebird engine in 2.8L, it's bolt one and thats' what i does this summer.

Why ? Simply because in the industry everybody said me, the Firebird engines are balanced inside and thats' why they are stronger then the AMC original engine in the Comanche who is balanced outside.

I hope my comment help you for a choice in the future. :cheers: :Canadaflag:

My MJ 1986 4x4 long bed is powered by a 2.8L from a firebird and it's working fine. The AMC original engine is good but if you want to have a better engine install a Firebird engine in 2.8L, it's bolt one and thats' what i does this summer.

Why ? Simply because in the industry everybody said me, the Firebird engines are balanced inside and thats' why they are stronger then the AMC original engine in the Comanche who is balanced outside.

I hope my comment help you for a choice in the future. :cheers: :Canadaflag:

first off...

did you get past the 3rd grade? ....if you did, you must have skimmed by. your grammar is terrible. kudos for proper spelling, though.

second off...

the only good thing about ANY 2.8l is that it starts. it is a small car engine, and doesn't have the power to pull more.

third off...

I think by "firebird 2.8" you mean 1991 to 1994 chevy F body style camaro/firebirds with the 3.4l 60 degree v6...same block, internally balanced, more cubic inches.

yep the 2.8 was available in the firebird from 84 till the up grade in 90 or 91. They had 135hp and torque was 150 or 160. they were a better engine than the base 2.8. and the Fiero had even more hp at 140 with some forged racing parts from pontiac. and were fuel injected. Still not the stump puller a 4.L is, but an easy up grade for an 86 with the shorter engine bay. They also have a ton of after market stuff for preformance. I would definetly rather have the 4.L mine just keeps on going!!!

yep the 2.8 was available in the firebird from 84 till the up grade in 90 or 91. They had 135hp and torque was 150 or 160. they were a better engine than the base 2.8. and the Fiero had even more hp at 140 with some forged racing parts from pontiac. and were fuel injected. Still not the stump puller a 4.L is, but an easy up grade for an 86 with the shorter engine bay. They also have a ton of after market stuff for preformance. I would definetly rather have the 4.L mine just keeps on going!!!

reguardless, the 2.8 wasn't internally ballanced until 1989 or so. it's not an upgrade...it's a trade-off for a minor improvement.

get a 3.4 and bolt it in, you have an upgrade. replace a 2.8 with a 2.8...you've side-stepped without moving forward.

first off... did you get past the 3rd grade? ....if you did, you must have skimmed by. your grammar is terrible. kudos for proper spelling, though.

Take note of his location Pat... :no: He's actually doing pretty good in his translation.

first off... did you get past the 3rd grade? ....if you did, you must have skimmed by. your grammar is terrible. kudos for proper spelling, though.

Take note of his location Pat... :no: He's actually doing pretty good in his translation.

meh. my canadian cousins speak english perfectly lol.

but I guess I should feel mildly bad for being harsh.