Engine Rebuild

Hello all,

I know some of you have done a engine rebuild and was wondering if you could tell me what all I need? Like the sizes of the pistons and all... It is a 2.5L 4 cylinder... I've been doing some research on rockauto.com and not sure what to get... Like the sizes and everything...

Thanks for the help before hand!!

Mike

As last post said, your block will have to inspected and measured to know what size overbore it might need, and thus what oversized pistons youll need to use, same goes for the rod and main bearings, cam bearing size usually isnt an issue, but if youre rebuilding, youll want a new cam and new lifters, as the old ones are probably pretty well worn. And don't let the rebuilder KNURL the valve guides.... PUT NEW ONES IN! Some cheaper rebuilders will knurl the inside of the valve guide to take up for wear, this makes them fit the hole nice, but it also allows for extra oil loss into the combustion chamber. NOT GOOD! Take the whole thing apart yourself and clean it best you can, send the block and head to the machine shop to be machined and have new guides installed, cylinders bored, journals ground, seats ground to three angles and valves ground, the machinist will tell you the right sized parts to buy and either assmble it themselves, or give it all back to you to put back together. If you are going to do this, do it right, youll be happier in the end.

Yeah thanks guys.

The reason I'm doing it is because I want like a new engine for my daily driver... And my class is in the rebuild stage and only allow 3 engines in and classmates are bringing in 350's and stuff and I won't have room for my little 4 cylinder. So I'm going to tear mine down at home and try to keep up with the class, though we have groups and I'll be working alone, but eventually I'll get there.

I just love them 'shop classes' where they teach mechanics and stuff. Never had much faith in shop mechanics and after a incident in the early '70's had even less. I bought 396 Chevy from the local junior college shop class for $20. It had been completely rebuilt as a class project and after finished it wouldn't turn over. They sold it as scrap. Pulling the heads revealed every dern piston in it had been put in backwards. The dome on the piston was hitting the head. I met the class instructor thinking he might want to show the class for a learning experience. HA!! He wanted nothing to do with it or me. So much for higher education. I bolted it up to a T98 and dropped it into a '64 Gladiator.

Lol. Yeah we have a lot of engines sitting around in the class shop we use for 'practice rebuilding' just to make sure we get it right. I guess times have changed since then huh ;) jk. But for $20.. Can't beat that.