Bus port overhead console?

Reading that other thread about the overhead console just reminded me of something that I had heard a long time ago, but never confirmed. I had heard that you could take a late model ('98 ZJish) overhead console with Trip, mileage calculator, distance to E... etc... And put it in to an H.O. XJ/MJ and make it work. I think I was told that if you hooked into the PCM bus port, it would get all the info it needs.

So, has anyone else heard this or done it? Don? This seems like it could be something in your area of expertise.

Thanks in advance,

Rob L. :cheers:

I researched this long ago and am depending on activating long dormant brain cells. :D Speed/distance functions (MPG, distance until empty, trip timer, etc.) won't work for the 91-92 OBDI MJs because the 97+ overhead consoles use the info provided from the ODBII CCD buss to function. Of course the the ambient temp, compass, dimmer lights will work fine on our trucks. Some of the late OBDI ZJs (93 and up I think?) had some of the above speed/distance functions because the ZJ ECUs provided a primitive CCU buss. The OBDI XJs/MJs did not. I remember reading quite awhile ago that someone was able to wire in a ZJ overhead console AND use a ZJ ECU in an OBDI XJ and all the console functions worked.

Wasn't Boilermaker trying to do this here? :hmm:

hornbrod, your memory serves you well, i've already pm'ed automan about my experiences....Due to time and monetary limitations, i gave it a try with just the ZJ overhead console and hoped it would work. And unfortunately it didn't, and as you point out the reason is mostly likely the information the overhead console needs is just not carried on our ODBI bus. There was/is a theory (not mine) that if you put a ZJ BCM into the mix that it could work, but that was further than i was able to take things. Nor have i heard of anyone being successful an OBDI XJ or MJ, yet. However, one person did manage to get this to work on what looks like a 97+ XJ from the pics. But this may have been due as much to the OBDII bus as it was to incorporating the ZJ BCM.

I researched this long ago and am depending on activating long dormant brain cells. :D Speed/distance functions (MPG, distance until empty, trip timer, etc.) won't work for the 91-92 OBDI MJs because the 97+ overhead consoles use the info provided from the ODBII CCD buss to function. Of course the the ambient temp, compass, dimmer lights will work fine on our trucks. Some of the late OBDI ZJs (93 and up I think?) had some of the above speed/distance functions because the ZJ ECUs provided a primitive CCU buss. The OBDI XJs/MJs did not. I remember reading quite awhile ago that someone was able to wire in a ZJ overhead console AND use a ZJ ECU in an OBDI XJ and all the console functions worked.

Wasn't Boilermaker trying to do this here? :hmm:

Don,

A very long time ago I purchased a 1994 ZJ overhead console and the sensor in the hopes it might work. Like many of my projects it is sitting in the garage, and I went another route with the center console. That being said wouldn't a 1994 ZJ still be ODBI?

Don,

A very long time ago I purchased a 1994 ZJ overhead console and the sensor in the hopes it might work. Like many of my projects it is sitting in the garage, and I went another route with the center console. That being said wouldn't a 1994 ZJ still be ODBI?

Most definitely OBDI Joe. Do you know what functions are on your ZJ console? Got a p/n? Look like this?

!B7(iQvQBGk~$(KGrHqUOKj0EzLepD(iYBMz+fufe0!~~-1_1.JPG

I was going to put in one of the mini ZJ overhead consoles like this for the Homelink and ambient temp functions, but came up with other solutions.

Don,

Most definitely OBDI Joe. Do you know what functions are on your ZJ console? Got a p/n? Look like this?

!B7(iQvQBGk~$(KGrHqUOKj0EzLepD(iYBMz+fufe0!~~-1_1.JPG

I was going to put in one of the mini ZJ overhead consoles like this for the Homelink and ambient temp functions, but came up with other solutions.

Don,

It is the longer console, with the compass, temp guage, and a sensor that looks like homelink 23659434005_large.jpg

23659434006_large.jpg

It is the longer console, with the compass, temp guage, and a sensor that looks like homelink

No Homelink on that one Joe. The little black globe-looking sensor is an infrared receiver for keyless entry.

Oh, and which Halloween costume did you wear? :yes: