Tranny question

Ok here is a newbie question to take the cake. :oops: How on earth do you get this darn tranny out. Lets start with the specs 89 4.0 with a 5 speed (that I was told was stuck in 4th) 2 wd. So I have all the bolts out around the tranny to the motor I no that I am not missing any because I have moved the tranny back about 1” to 2” and that it. The darn thing won’t go any further so I thought maybe the motor and the tranny was not lined up straight enough so I have a cherry picker hooked to the back of the motor and raised it up a little then down a little these did not seem to help. So I went back to my Haynes manual and was reading to remove the shifter it need to be in natural is this so the tranny well come out??? Please any body that has had this issue let me no what you did to get it out because I am about to take a CUTTING TORCH to this darn thing. :mad: :headpop: This being a holiday weekend and really nice weather I am want to get these one out and the other one in or I would hope to anyway. And next what is the best clutch to use. Thanks in advance.

did you take the flywheel inspection plate off?

I don’t recall there being one i will check

and yes I got those two bolt on top of the 2wd but on the 4x4 I striped those off and now I have to figure out how to get those off any help other than the drill and tap

The inspection plate is a thin piece of metal that bolts to the block and bolts to the bellhousing. There are bolts going towards the front of the truck, and bolt that go towards the rear of the truck. Little bitty annoying screws that are easily hidden by oily gunk and dirt. Ask me how I know... :roll:

ok ok now I feel like a real dumb a$$ :oops: I fond that my 4x4 tranny came out different and what I missed was the tranny cross member was attached to the exhaust. On the 4x4 all I had to do was unbolt it from the truck which is what I did on the 2wd and over look it :mad:

I do thank you all for the help and the tranny is on the ground Thanks agian.