Quick paint question:

Just a quick paint question for y'all. I am looking to paint the Farmer, and my boss who is going to be helping me re-do it, had a question as to what type/method was used from the factory as far as paint goes. I honestly don't know. He was curious if there was a clear, or just base coat... yadda yadda... Paint isn't my thing.

'87 MJ:

73823_160337644003731_100000824882082_264455_3750310_n.jpg

Thanks fellas.

Rob L. :cheers:

Standard base and clear , I kind of wish they would have used a better method , I think most of our trucks would be in better shape .

Wet sanding after first and second coat of prime offers a way better flatter finish but that depends on your patience and time frame for completion .

I've just sprayed the crap out of it before without much sanding between coats and it came out great except some orange peal effect in the finish .

Different paints and thinners from different companies act different , I'd say use what paint and methods he has seen to be successful .

He wants me to take it down to bare steel, but was contemplating getting away with sand/paint depending on how the factory paint was. Being that our trucks have a ton of clear coat failures, it might be best to take it down and not rely on the factory job for adhesion.

Rob L.

Probably no reason to strip it to steel unless there's some cancer , Ideally you can just " scuff " the old clear off if the surface is straight and clean .

Trick is to get all the sanding dust out of the scuffed surface before applying any other coats . However once clean , the base primer coat will stick real good to the old surface .

Its been a long time since I've painted anything so newer products are probably available and easier methods might be available .

Thought about doing the old Rustoleum roll-on?

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1

(starts midway down the first page)

It's not factory, but it seems to get the job done with a minimum of expense, and if you take the time, it can look pretty darn good. When I get around to painting mine, that's how I'm going to do it.

Bare steel is OK if you want to, but you will have to reproduce the E-coat somehow (the anticorrosion coat) that was applied at the factory.

A better way is to sand the truck until smooth (filling or raising low areas) and then apply an inexpensive epoxy primer. The E-P will "seal" the old finishes and give a nice new surface for the new paint to stick to.

The E-P is a two stage paint that will not add any signifigant time to the job, but you really can't sand the vehicle afterwards - just apply the finish coat.

Good Luck!

Bare steel is OK if you want to, but you will have to reproduce the E-coat somehow (the anticorrosion coat) that was applied at the factory.

A better way is to sand the truck until smooth (filling or raising low areas) and then apply an inexpensive epoxy primer. The E-P will "seal" the old finishes and give a nice new surface for the new paint to stick to.

The E-P is a two stage paint that will not add any signifigant time to the job, but you really can't sand the vehicle afterwards - just apply the finish coat.

Good Luck!

:agree:

Without the primer coat the newer paint has a problem sticking to bare metal , it tends to run on you if you're not careful on the first couple passes and sometimes it never really bonds to the surface completely anyway . My favorite paint jobs have the baked on method , trying not to go down to the metal unless I had too and using a two stage primer / sealer .

I also used fine cut fiberglass instead of Bondo in areas where I had no choice but to fill . However thats allot of work on that stuff , but the fiberglass lasts soooo much longer up here in

UV ray town .

one thing that i was also considering doing was taking it down to bare metal and using por15 to do the whole bed and the lower half of my cab but I live in the major rust belt. Also avoid switching brands of paint. Different brand paints can react badly with eachother which will turn into a mess. I painted a spare hood for my XJ and I used sherwin williams primer with summit flat black. I forgot to add hardner to it so i let it fully dry for alittle over a week. I went to run my hand over the paint to feel the finish and huge sheets of the black paint peeled off like i painted over teflon.

Josh