rear end & trans

I just picked up a mj real cheap but the only proplem is it needs a rear end and transmission. I don't really know much about these little trucks. But would be a good donor car to keep this thing cheap and on the road ......Thanks!

XJs (regular sized Cherokees) used the same transmissions and rear axles. Transmissions will bolt in, but the rear axle will need new spring perches welded on. Only direct bolt-in rear axle if from another MJ.

What year/motor/trans do you have?

like I said, I don't really know much about the truck but its a 89 5 speed, 4.0 pioneer already sitting on 33's I traded some work for the truck cause i liked the way it looked and you don't see many of them around. but i just want to get the truck up and running for the winter

Your transmission is either a Puegoet BA 10/5, or an Aisin Warner AX-15. 89 was the transition year for the 5 speeds behind the 4.0. Given that you said it needs a new trans, I'm inclined to think you have the Pukey. What's wrong with the trans?

Rear axle is most likely a Dana 35. Sitting on 33s, there's no surprise it blew up on you.

Pictures of the axle and transmission would help a great deal.

Running 33" tires I suggest looking for s D44 (difficult to find/expensive) or a 97 or newer Chrysler 8.25" rear axle out of a Cherokee. A D35 would be a grenade waiting to happen. There should be numerous ones in the junk yards. Check the gears in your current axles, as you want to match the gear ratio with what's in the front axle. For the transmission, the Peugot was junk and is difficult to find parts for. If it's an AX15, just replace with another one. If it's a Peugot, seriously think of upgrading to an AX15, but I personally don't know what all is involved in the upgrade. (pilot bushing? flywheel? clutch?).

Good luck.

Running 33" tires I suggest looking for s D44 (difficult to find/expensive) or a 97 or newer Chrysler 8.25" rear axle out of a Cherokee. A D35 would be a grenade waiting to happen. There should be numerous ones in the junk yards. Check the gears in your current axles, as you want to match the gear ratio with what's in the front axle. For the transmission, the Peugot was junk and is difficult to find parts for. If it's an AX15, just replace with another one. If it's a Peugot, seriously think of upgrading to an AX15, but I personally don't know what all is involved in the upgrade. (pilot bushing? flywheel? clutch?).

Good luck.

a dana 35 with 33s will be fine on a rig that is just drove on the street. but i do agree, finding a 8.25 would be your best bet. Make sure the jeep isn't regeared before you start swaping.

I just picked up a mj real cheap but the only proplem is it needs a rear end and transmission. I don't really know much about these little trucks. But would be a good donor car to keep this thing cheap and on the road ......Thanks!

Where are you located? I have all the parts you need to get you up and running again... All parts came out my 88 MJ that I have upgraded thru the years ....I'm in Connecticut!

the trans only has reverse

That's weird. I'd be interested to see the inside of that thing.

The question is it stuck in reverse or only has reverse? If it's stuck in reverse then it could just be a syncro. If it only has reverse...I'd almost be willing to travel a little bit to just open that. :hmm:

the trans only has reverse

That's weird. I'd be interested to see the inside of that thing.

The question is it stuck in reverse or only has reverse? If it's stuck in reverse then it could just be a syncro. If it only has reverse...I'd almost be willing to travel a little bit to just open that. :hmm:

Reverse doesn't use synchros.