Engine: 4.0L I6

Transmission: AW4 4 Speed Automatic

Comanche

Year: 1988

Type: 2WD

Engine: 2.5L I4 TBI

Transmission: AX4 4 Speed Manual

My questions are these:

• [*:mxsoog8w]Will a 4.0L fit into the space of a 2.5L? (Such as placement of engine mounts.)
    [*:mxsoog8w]What would need to be done to swap the 2WD Comanche Manual Tranny with the 4WD Cherokee Automatic Tranny?
    [*:mxsoog8w]Is there a place to mount the transfer case with the 4WD Cherokee Automatic Tranny?
    [*:mxsoog8w]Will both axles of the Comanche have to be replaced with those from the Cherokee?
    [*:mxsoog8w]Will I have to also have to swap drivetrains?

These are just questions that come to the top of my head right now. The reason I ask is because I have come into the possession of this Cherokee, but the entire body of the Cherokee is rusted; it is surprising the thing is still holding together. Everything besides the body of the Cherokee is fine, as I recently replaced the leaf springs, shocks, coil springs, hubs, axles, and what have you with new ones with a 3 inch lift kit. The rust came from its time spent on the winter-salted roads from up North. There is a Comanche for sale for very cheap; it just needs a new engine. Is this project possible, or would I just be doing it in vain? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Do you prefer auto or manual transmissions?

the ax-4 will not bolt to the 4.0L, so that's out right there. probably the easiest swap will be the most thorough. Gut the MJ completely and swap over everything from the XJ. :thumbsup: you'll still need a rear driveshaft (most of us get the 2wd shaft shortened), splice the MJ rear lights' wire harness to the XJ harness, and some exhaust work.

Do you prefer auto or manual transmissions?

the ax-4 will not bolt to the 4.0L, so that's out right there. probably the easiest swap will be the most thorough. Gut the MJ completely and swap over everything from the XJ. :thumbsup: you'll still need a rear driveshaft (most of us get the 2wd shaft shortened), splice the MJ rear lights' wire harness to the XJ harness, and some exhaust work.

I have no preference for the type of transmission (I can drive both). I know the AX-4 won't work with the 4.0L, but thank you for that info! So, from the sounds of things, it was everything I expected. So, I can more or less just take everything from the XJ (axles, drive shafts, tranny, engine, transfer case, hubs, et cetera), and put it into the Comanche? My biggest concern is the shifters for the transmission and the transfer case. Would there be places through the body to put everything into the cab? Would I have to cut anything up? (Ignore this question if it sounds completely, well, dumb. I probably don't know what I'm talking about there). My brother got a newer Cherokee and gave me his old one, and I put in all of the things for the new lift kit. I've also worked in the engine before, and I'd like to put another notch under my belt with a project like this. I love the Chilton Jeep Guide.

the 4wd conversion is a bolt-in procedure. :thumbsup: The 4.0L conversion is pretty much bolt-in too. just replicate what you see on the XJ over on the MJ.

take your time, take lots of photos (so you know where things go and what they looked like in the XJ), and do whatever it takes to stay organized. :thumbsup: I made a huge spreadsheet in excel when I did my 4wd conversion.

Your last post makes me feel excited about this project. I can't wait to get down and dirty and have a working 4x4. I've been wanting to join my brother for the longest time with his off-road adventures with my own vehicle. I'll make sure to take as many pictures when I finally do get started (another month or so). Thanks for the information so far! Of course, any and all additional information will be equally welcome.

hose down every nut and bolt with PB Blaster or other rust penetrant (NOT wd-40) for days and days ahead of time. :thumbsup:

be prepared for lots of broken bolts and frustration. it's just part of working on a rusty Jeep. :yes:

front suspensions are the same, but the leafs on the XJ are very different than MJ leafs.

Keep reading! especially the DIY forum and this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14213

When Pete says transfer everything, he means EVERYTHING. The heater/ac box assembly, ALL wiring, radiator core support and cooling system, he didnt mention fuel pump, but youll need a 4.0 fuel pump also, might be able to transfer just the pump part to your 2.5 assy leaving your original fuel level sender, I think theres something about that on here somewhere. Just be prepared and take your time. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

better check the inner fenders and front half of the inner sheet metal behind the grill where the airbox sits on mine we had to cut from in front of the spring buckets to where the radiator sits including the front crossmember off of a 4.0 comanche to swap the 4.0 into a 2.5 comanche other than that all of the other parts just bolted right in

Your rear axle will work. Both the 4.0/auto and 2.5/4 speed combos got 3.55 gearing in the axles. Swapping the axles would most likely be a good idea, but not necessary. The speedo gear in the XJ's transfer case is already what you need.

Obviously you'll have to swap the front. You'll need all the brake stuff from the XJ's Dana 30, it's not compatible with the older 2wd calipers.

The rear is up to you. Do you know what axle the XJ has? If it's a Dana 35, and you already have a Dana 35 with no problems, it's not worth it. If the XJ has a Chrysler 8.25, then it's a good upgrade. However, it would affect your rear driveshaft, as the yoke on the 8.25 sicks further forward than the D35.

axle_id_01.gif

Rear axle will need the XJ spring perches cut off, might as well cut the shock mounts off too, and weld new perches on in the MJ positions.