Fuel pump & filter 1, Me -$200

beaterjeep

Well, I am finally moved into my new apt. and got net up and running, but along the way I had to fix the 86. I got a full load of my stuff from my mom's garage and along the 15 mile trip from her house to my place the 86 decided to die about halfway there. She sputtered for about a mile and then died out, so I just thought that the tank had built up pressure again, so I got out to loosen the fuel cap and there was no pressure. This had me thinking because I had almost a full tank of gas in it, and I've noticed before that if the fuel cap is on too tight it will create pressure in the tank and not run quite right, so I thought that was it, but it wasn't. Thankfully I had my cell phone with me, so I called a local garage to come pick up my truck. A few days later, I got a call from them asking me to come down to the shop. I asked him why he wanted me to come down there and the only answer I got was "You'll see when you get here" this had me really worried because my first thought was that they noticed the exhaust and notified the cops about it (some shops around here are known for doing things like that) So, I get down there and the guy shows me the fuel filter off my truck, completely plugged up with dirt and grass, yes I said grass. Also come to find out that the pump had fried so that's why it died on me, so after a new pump and filter and a couple cans of sea foam (one for the tank and half a can for the oil) I walked out of the shop $200 poorer, but I had my truck back and could continue moving. I'm happy to be back and report that the 86 now runs better than ever since I've had it and it barely leaks any oil now.

man i figured there was something wrong with the filter. i never figured there would be grass in it though. guess that might have caused the problem of it shuddering once in awhile. glad you got it figured out. hope thats all the problems it has given you so far. can't believe it hardly leaks on you anymore. glad its working well. the 91 is doing well other then minor things. the worst thing is that it wants premium to run at its best and that is getting old fast with prices this day and age. oh and my xplod got stolen out of it.

Alex

man i figured there was something wrong with the filter. i never figured there would be grass in it though. guess that might have caused the problem of it shuddering once in awhile. glad you got it figured out. hope thats all the problems it has given you so far. can't believe it hardly leaks on you anymore. glad its working well. the 91 is doing well other then minor things. the worst thing is that it wants premium to run at its best and that is getting old fast with prices this day and age. oh and my xplod got stolen out of it.

Alex

Yep, that's about all the problems I've had with it other than having to have the gas cap a little loose so the tank don't build pressure, oh and don't feel too bad the 86 prefers premium as well. As for the rear main, would the seafoam I put in have anything to do with it? It seems like it slowed dramatically after I put it in. It sucks that your stereo got jacked, I've had that happen as well in my old 94 cavi wagon. Hope ya find it.