Patch Panel Questions

I need to make some patch pieces inside my cab to supplement my floor pans that I am currently replacing and since I am new to sheet metal work I had a couple questions...

What guage is most auto body sheet metal? I have some 22 ga. pieces that I thought would work well, but I was concerned it might be too thin. I will be welding the panels with a small 90 amp MIG welder and did not want to run into problems "blowing through" the sheet metal because it was too thin. I'm new to welding as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

just make sure you use low gage wire on your mig or with gaz that will help to

I'm running .35 gage on my mig but its made to weld thick metal ( 3/16" or 1/4") but with gaz still manage to do sheet metal

but if you go to .20 wire you should be fine without gaz on it

I only have a "Min/Max" power setting switch and it's a gasless unit that uses the flux wire. It is currently set up with .030 wire.

I plan on getting in plenty of practice first, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for failure with this welding unit on the 22 ga. sheet metal.

flux is good for no gaz

in fact that's what you should use (if no gaz)

go to your local hardware store for your welding stuff (here its canadian tire lolll)

and just buy a roll of .20 gage flux wire with the tips for the welding machine cuz just a low and high setting doesn't leave you much room of play

a smaller wire will also allow you to run more power because .35 gage you will have to be on low setting

... and just buy a roll of .20 gage flux wire with the tips for the welding machine cuz just a low and high setting doesn't leave you much room of play

a smaller wire will also allow you to run more power because .35 gage you will have to be on low setting

It's not .35 "gage." It's .035" wire.

And most inexpensive wire welders won't take .020" wire, they have a spool that will take either .030" or .035" and nothing else.