Limited Slip Rear Differential Swap Options

So i'm wondering what my options are for putting an LSD into my comanche.

Right now its 2WD BA10/5 with a D35 in the back. I will at some point do an AW15 swap and 4WD conversion, but for now, I need both my rear wheels turning in unison.

So what kind of junkyard options do I have? Something out of an XJ? I would like to go over-spring with this at first, and I don't mind grinding/welding.

Aalldata tells me there was the D35 and D44 options, at it looks like the D44 is full-floating. I don't really need that much diff, but I wouldn't object.

I also like the Ford 8.8 swap especially for a possible rear disc conversion, but its a lot more work.

Really I need some advice on what I should look for at the junkyard!

Cheers,

Mark

With the rarity of MJ axles with LSD in either the 35 or 44 versions, any other option will be of similar work. I don't beleive that the 8.8 will be any more work to convert than the 8.25, or an XJ 44, and I think the 8.8 will be easier to find in LSD than the other options too. From what Ive seen its no big deal to hook up the parking break on the 8.8, and you have to move the perches anyways. Go to www.car-part.com and you can search for axles in your area. Good luck!

d44 rears are not full floating: they are semi-float. As stated, your easiest option for a rear wih an LSD already in it is an 8.8. If you keep your tire size small, maybe a lunchbox locker would be the easiest and most cost effective answer if they are available for the D35?

I got lucky and found a traclock 8.25 Axle out of a '98 XJ Limited Upcounty. It works great too. As said above, the Ford 8.8 is much more common to find with LSD... I just couldn't bring myself to put a Ford part on my Jeep... Disk swap on an 8.25 isn't very hard.

Thanks for the input!

Looking at a D35 Locker on eBay it was around $300. Not worth it.

If I can find a late model Explorer with a posi diff I can get it for a steal at a local wrecker for $100.

Can someone give me a few tips on this swap? I'm concerned about brake bias, leaf mounting, and universal joint/driveshaft problems.

If someone has a link to an 8.8 swap that would be incredibly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark