1988 comanche 2wd axle swap

• 2 weeks later...
no i want a new axle it will be cheaper and easer than a locker

i heard something about a dana44 from a grand wagoneer being able to swap right in no mods to mounting plates or any thing

A waggy dana 44 has 6 lug hubs, so you would have to have different wheels front to back. waggy axles are geared higher than Comanche axles (something like 2.73 gears :nuts: ) and waggys are soa in the rear.

If it was my truck, I would get a lock rite or another lunchbox locker, and I think that they are easier to put in than an axle.

I don't think it would be easier unless you found a manche with a LSD or something of that sort cause your going to have to fab up mounts and such.Just my .02 worth.

PS...I am saying this so you buy the locker just what I think. It took me 45min to put mine in so not really hard just a few bolts and yank the shafts out part ways and walla your halfway there. Check out powertrax website and look at the instructions and you will see how easy it5 is.

Cole

I don't think it would be easier unless you found a manche with a LSD or something of that sort cause your going to have to fab up mounts and such.Just my .02 worth.

PS...I am saying this so you buy the locker just what I think. It took me 45min to put mine in so not really hard just a few bolts and yank the shafts out part ways and walla your halfway there. Check out powertrax website and look at the instructions and you will see how easy it5 is.

Cole

it really is THAT easy... took my brother and i about hr and a half with plenty of breaks and at night.

be wary though if its a manual ive heard they lock up quick when you let the clutch out... which can take some driving style adjustment.

I concur you have to start clutching threw sharp turns and taking off alot diff. but it is amazing what they do for traction.

Cole

haha, try adjusting your driving style with a manual and a full detroit.

Sometimes it shakes the drivetrain so hard it feels like the truck is coming apart.

Either drive with enough gas around a corner to totally lock it, or push the clutch in. DO not try and pedal your way around a corner with light throttle to maintain speed. When the locker ratchetts it will give some slack, then your RPM's jump and it's a very unpleasant shock load.

better than a manual due to it haveing some pressure on the gears and drivetrain at all times IMO. but I don't know for sure maybe someone does. But really I can deal with it after the first time I wenyt off-road it was crazy the diff it made but I think just my front will still give me a good amount of traction. But yeah it does take some getting use to.

Cole