4.88 8.25 gears other ??

I'm not new to XJ/MJ's by any means. BUT I am thinking of my current MJ and it's intended build up.

'88 MJ SWB 4 bngr 5 spd. It's currently 2wd but that will change.

I have been debating on using a D-30/44 combo with 4.88's and 33's OR using waggy D-44's (did this in my last XJ) and running 5.38's and 35's. I know the 35's would only give me an inch extra under the diffs BUT I am also thinking of the 113" WB vs the 101" of the XJ's I've wheeled in the past. So some thoughts on that would be appreciated. We used to wheel in Tellico (RIP) and will continue to wheel in similar terrain.

That being said I may split the difference and run 34's...I have been wanting a set of the 34X10.50 LTB;s and since this truck will be mostly a trail rig I figure it's a good fit and they are reasonably priced especially for their size/performance.

Has anyone ran the 4.88's in their 8.25 rear? I'd rather a D-44 BUT if the 4.88's have been proven decent for the 8.25...I think the 29 spl version will hold up just fine with the 4 bngr and 33"-34" tires. Plus the MJ/XJ D-44's are getting a little harder to come by and the cheapest one I have found recently was $350. I just bought my 29 spl 8.25 with 4.10's for $150 and put it in my current XJ so I know getting a nother one will be fairly easy/cheaper than a D-44 and IMO the 8.25 is an underrated axle.

I guess I am just rambling on trying to decide which route to take. :hmm:

• 4 months later...

Anyone else have input on this? I am hoping to tear into the MJ within the next month or so.

I've wheeled a LWB MJ on 35's...ONCE. And I have a good amount of seat time in an XJ on 33's but again I am concerned with the foot longer wheelbase of even my SWB MJ.

I know the simplest would be a D-30 front and an 8.25 or 44 rear. Just curious on the wheeling difference of 33's vs 35's...I know it's not a BIG difference but is it worth the jump up to the bigger tire...which for what I want gear wise will mean bigger axles to run deeper gears.

If an MJ on 33's locked etc will handle Tellico type terrain (IE slickrock, upper 2, gaurd rail, school bus etc) and not get hung up then I know I'd be happy with that. But if it will get bellied up a lot I want to go bigger.

Am I thinking about this too much? :huh???: :banana:

4.88s in the 8.25 would probably be fine. Don't see why it wouldn't be.

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think 4.88s are available for a HP D30.

Yes you can get 4.88 for the HP D30. When I went to regear my XJ with 33's I was told by the shop if I ever thought about going to 35's in the future that I should put in 4.88's. Went with 4.56 since it would cost to much to fit 35's on it.(tires, lift kit, SYE, drive shaft.etc...)

The 29 spline 8.25 is a decent axle. I'd worry about the front before the 8.25.

I had a FSJ Chero with 34" LTB's and a 109" wheel base: I never got to hit it hard but I patterened it after some other FSJ's that wheeld hard. I think the 34's would be nice on an MJ, or even some narrow 35's. A narrower tire may help the D30 live.

Did you save info on your waggy axle conversion?

I'm not really worried on the D-30 holding up. I've wheeled 2 TJ's (which are heavier than the MJ) with 4.88's and 33's (1 HP-30 (swapped) and 1 LP-30) and never broke the D-30's in those. My biggest concern is just the belly getting hung up. Also if I want to go with bigger tires I want deeper gears and the 30 won't go deep enough so D-44 is the next step.

As for the waggy D-44's (which is what I WANT to do on the MJ) it's pretty easy...especially if you can weld or know someone who can.

For the rear it is very tempting to just bolt it in as the waggy perches are only 1/2" wider or so per side (for the XJ)...but it's probably not a good idea. So new perches and shock mounts are all that's really needed to get it in there. Then just the rear brake hose (some are different fittings) and the u-bolts/plates. The waggy rear is narrower than the XJ rear but mine never had a problem...my wheels were 3.75" BS.

I've read where people say the waggy 44 rear is too narrow for an MJ...?

For the front I used RE's bracket kit. Held up well and retained the stock style suspension so no fabrication was required to the vehicle itself. if I had to do it again I would go the TnT truss route as it's about the same $$ and seems to be a bit beefier.

I ran 4.88's and 33's with this set up...full spools at both ends (remember the waggy 44 hubs are unlocked on the street) in a '98 XJ 4.0L AW4. It was a great setup offroad and was also my DD for nearly 2 years. I never felt the need to go bigger with this rig.