Is this a good price?

1990 Pioneer 4x4

3.73 Is kind of a rare ratio, makes me a little leery... Price seems right for it... But they do come up cheaper time to time... Depends on how bad you want it.

Rob L.

What do you mean about "makes me a little leery". Think someone has already been in it changing up the gears or you don't think they know what their talking about? I currently have 3.73 gears and was hoping to keep that ratio...

I would love to have 3.73s over my 3.55s. I think they are the best fit for a mild wheeler street jeep. Keeps fuel economy somewhat good with slightly larger tires, you don't loose as much pep, and your rpms stay close to the sweet spot at 65.

:cheers:

I would love to have 3.73s over my 3.55s. I think they are the best fit for a mild wheeler street jeep. Keeps fuel economy somewhat good with slightly larger tires, you don't loose as much pep, and your rpms stay close to the sweet spot at 65.

:cheers:

Yep. 3.73 is excellent for up to 31" tires, and it's rare, almost as rare as the 4.10, that I'd prefer. It's also at the carrier cutoff so pretty easy to go lower if you want. I'd be all over that thing if it was local. :cheers:

Guess I am saying that I wouldn't buy it hoping for 3.73's without pulling the cover.

Rob L.

I wouldn't buy ANY axle off CL without pulling the cover... I have saved myself some serious pain twice now by doing that. The first was an hp d30 with 4.10s and a detroit, he claimed it was perfect, I checked and the pinion bearing was all kinds of shot so I pulled the cover, the shim setup was ultra sketchy (between the races and the housing, hanging out, etc :nuts:) and it had like 1/8" of backlash, so I said hell no and saved myself $250. Ended up buying one with a bad pinion bearing for $150, but I knew it had the bad bearing going in, thus didn't think the price was out of line.

Buying from someone I knew and trusted (any local naxja or CC guy with a decent rep, basically) I would buy without opening the cover any day of the week. Heck, I scored myself a d35 with a trac-lok that way... it had heavily rusted 3.55s but I wasn't after those, just shafts/carrier/yoke really.