Aluminum Wheel Refinishing

I tried a few things back in the day... I hear that someone had good results with boat and airplane stripper... Like a gel, that you leave on. Takes a few applications, then you have to figure out a way to "re-protect" the wheel.

Rob L.

Aircraft stripper. Do NOT leave it on too long or you'll etch the aluminum. Polish with any good aluminum polish (such as Mother's). Coat with clear in the aerosol cans, but don't expect it to last as long as a factory finish.

Do not buy the water based stripper, aircraft or any of the strong ones. I used Aces best took two coats but came right off. Thats as far as I have gotten did not polish them yet. I am leaving mine uncoated and will polish as needed clear is a pain. search you tube plenty of good ideas on there. I may try a write up on my canyons if they come out ok.

What about having the tires removed from the wheels? Can a chemical stripper be used without separating the two?

I don't know. I have always stripped bare rims. Don't forget, it's usually wheel weights that start messing up the clear coat, and if you work with a mounted tire you're working around the weights. Plus, you can't clean the surface the tire bead actually seats against.