'95xj ((5spd) transfer case into a '99 xj (auto)

both are 231s. the 99 has just developed this weird thing like its part way into 4x4. gives of a weird "shaking) especially when cornering at low speed.this is coinciding with the transfercase shift lever suddenly "freezing up" -- I'm baffled!!

so i have the '95 sitting in the yard and its always worked fine so am looking at pulling tc's (not something i've ever done,btw). so my first Q is will the 5 spd one fit on the auto tranny? and if so , is there anything i should be prepared for?

thanx in advance--- all replies welcome.

the shifter says 2wd but its in 4 for sure, and making some horrible clicking, shaking, binding thing. i went under and shifted it into 2 on the linkage, reversed and it was in 2wd for that but as soon as it went into drive again, -same thing. and the shifter itself won't even go back more than a little bit (not as far as the neutral position).

have you tried adjusting the linkage?

as far as the t-cases, yes they should interchange with minimal effort. I don't know for sure what the cutoff date is, but the 95 might not have the seal rear output.

my first thought was that that didnt make sense, because nothing has changed in the linkage, but that could be a good idea. do you hav a link of that site that has the pics ?

my first thought was that that didnt make sense, because nothing has changed in the linkage, but that could be a good idea. do you hav a link of that site that has the pics ?

If you mean the pic Pete posted, thats just the instr. from the FSM