J10 - What can you tell me about it?

terrawombat

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1813541309.html

I was just nosing around CL at work and stumbled upon this little guy. For an NJ truck, the body sure looks clean. E-mailed the dude, but no response, but I'd love to take a look at this truck over the weekend. Can any of you tell me a little more about the truck just by these pictures? I'm FSJ stupid,but have been visiting the IFSJ forums to learn :)

Just from the pics it looks like a nice truck. I havea hard time accepting the prices being asked for Jeep trucks. I wonder if they're getting their asking price. In 1991 or 2, don't remember for sure, I bought a 1977 J20 for $75. It wouldn't start and the guy got tired messing with it. I got it home, put the plug wires back where they should be and been driving it since.360, 4spd. In 2003 I bought a cherry 1983 J10 for $800. Runs great. 360, auto. Rust free.In 1971 I bought a new 1970 J10 from the dealer. $4.000. The '71's were coming in and he wanted to get rid of it.

The biggest problems with the J series, IMHO, is they leak, mostly around the windshield and to a lessor extent, the doors. I have 7 J's now. 5 have rusty floorboards. 1 rusted out. I can only suggest you go look at it and if you like it, then get it. If you have a specific question about them ask. No guarantee but I'll see if I can help. Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm not thrilled with the price either and I'm interested to see how much wiggle room I have with the seller (if he ever gets back to me). I also have some vehicles in my stash that I'd be willing to put on the trading block if it came to it.

A big deciding factor for me will be the amount of body rot on the frame and the body. I've got enough of those types of Jeeps and I don't really need to add another 'rot repair' Jeep to my collection. I don't have all of the right tools/materials for it and I don't really find it that enjoyable. Engine/trans work is a different story - I'll do that all day long. Another thing that will make or break this deal for me will be the engine. If it's got the 360 V8 in it, it'll be a lot more appetizing to me than if it has the straight six. I'd plan on using this truck for all of the home repairs I have planned in the near future - including, but not limited to - clearing 1 acre of overgrown brush, building a deck, and other miscellaneous tasks. I would also like to haul my motorcycle in the bed and it would be good motivation to finish my single axle trailer restoration :)

Price seems high. Bought a 74? J10 for $400 (360,turbo 400, Dana 20). The 4x4 didn't work. P.O had but on a 2" body lift and some bfg mud terains, and then parked it because of the 4x4 problem. (cracked vaccuum line goin to transfercase)

Thanks Jim. I'm not thrilled with the price either and I'm interested to see how much wiggle room I have with the seller (if he ever gets back to me). I also have some vehicles in my stash that I'd be willing to put on the trading block if it came to it.

A big deciding factor for me will be the amount of body rot on the frame and the body. I've got enough of those types of Jeeps and I don't really need to add another 'rot repair' Jeep to my collection. I don't have all of the right tools/materials for it and I don't really find it that enjoyable. Engine/trans work is a different story - I'll do that all day long. Another thing that will make or break this deal for me will be the engine. If it's got the 360 V8 in it, it'll be a lot more appetizing to me than if it has the straight six.

We think alike in that respect. I'll do mechanic work all day rather than a hour on rust. Don't sell the 6 cyl short. It's not the power house the 360 is but for a DD and dependability your not gonna beat it.

Threw the guy a follow-up e-mail and still nothing. Probably a lost cause, but I'll keep bothering him until I get something back!

Is there any way to tell if this truck is a 4x4 just by looking at the front hubs? Were those alloy rims an option? I've seen them on a few Waggy's and other J10's. Did they only come with a certain trim package?

If it's 4wd the hub will stick out from the wheel center. If it's 2wd it won't. Will be flat similiar to the rear drum, wheel. Keep bugging him. Maybe he went on vacation, or the cops nailed him and will really have to sell to raise bail.

Correction. The hub will still stick out but will be more cone shaped and not as fat. Gotta stop doing anything B4 I've had my first cup of coffee.