Opinions on timing oil sling

I'm almost done with my timing chain on the 2.5 L , so again I refer to the masters of the MJ on a oil sling , needed or not ?

A buddy of mine said he threw his away , wasn't needed but I figured I'd check with you guys first before I pitched it .

I'm almost done with my timing chain on the 2.5 L , so again I refer to the masters of the MJ on a oil sling , needed or not ?

A buddy of mine said he threw his away , wasn't needed but I figured I'd check with you guys first before I pitched it .

Your friend is, I assume, a professional automotive engineer? Ask him why, if the oil slinger isn't needed, the engineers at AMC/Chysler/Jeep went to the trouble and expense of using it. They don't use ANYTHING without a reason if it'll save 2-1/2 cents per vehicle.

Thank you Eagle , thats what I thought , I knew the chain needed lubrication somehow and I couldn't find anything that was actually doing anything but the oil sling .

Being a bike fanatic , I clean and lube my chains frequently .

Why would anyone consider tossing it? It weighs nothing, and would be an unnoticeable reduction in rotating mass. Along with its functions mentioned above, I always saw it as (and this is EXTREMELY unlikely), but what if your crank's timing gear decided to walk forward? Nothing stopping it if you toss that.