gas guage moving randomly?

my gas gauge has always moved when i take off and stop, which is no problem i understand that, but lately when i throttle it the gas gauge gos all the way to full when my rpms get pretty high, then it stays there until i idle down. its strange. any help?

You might have a crappy ground issue too. The sender and fuel pump share a ground and if it gets corroded enough it has enough resistance that the voltage at the "low" (electronically speaking) end of the sender is higher than the gauge expects, which throws off the reading. When the pump is working hard and drawing more current the voltage on the crummy ground will be higher than when the pump is not working very hard and not drawing much current, so the reading will fluctuate.

If anyone figures out what this problem is it'd be great to hear what it was. Mine was working fine, then all of a sudden it started to read low and won't go above 1/4 tank however full it is. I've checked the sender and its wiring and resistance and all is good there but the voltage at the connector by the tank is only 6v meaning (I think) the problem is further up the line. It did go all of a sudden which might point to a loose connector somewhere. At some point I'm going to pull the gauge cluster and see if there's anything obvious there image_209027.gif

i just fixed my ground issue then this issue popped up :hmm: it doesnt happen all the time just occasionally and it will do it until i cut my truck off then it typically won't do it once i restart it :dunno: