2001 Cherokee 4.0

I have a 2001 Cherokee limited with a 4.0 engine and auto trans, A fellow in Kansas has a 2001 Grand Cherokee with a blown 4.0 and auto. He read someplace they will not swap. I believe they will. Any comments? I could use the money but I don't want him driving 500 miles for nothing. Jim

I was just reading this the other day (here maybe?)

I'm thinking the post had said WJ's have different motor mount bosses.

I'd look in to it a little more before giving him the go ahead.

I have a 2001 XJ engine and a 2000 TJ engine side by side. There are subtle differences in the two. The water pumps are different. I believe that all of the engine mount bosses are there, but they may need to be threaded on one of the engines (I forget which). I can check this out tomorrow if you'd like. The 2000 TJ engine is the same as the 2001 WJ engine.

Also, if he wants to bring that car to NJ, I've been looking for a '99+ WJ with a blown 4.0L to put my TJ engine into :) Even a TJ with a blown engine fetches a premium around here...

I believe that all of the engine mount bosses are there, but they may need to be threaded on one of the engines (I forget which). I can check this out tomorrow if you'd like.

If you would please. We can both use all the info on this we can get.

Will do, Jim. I'll get both blocks lined up side by side and take some photographs of the differences. The TJ engine is a complete engine up on a stand, but the XJ engine was pulled from my '01 and I began to disassemble it for a rebuild. I'm not even sure if I have the cylinder head for it anymore, but I'm confident that the cylinder heads (the crummy 0331 casting, which is sometimes known for it's wonderful ability to crack) are the same.

The motormount mounting points changed at some point:

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =15&t=1047

Does this mean 01' XJ & 01' WJ's are different?

I'm not sure,

some claim the XJ block is different from the WJ/TJ block, but :dunno:

I didn't find the original thread I was talking about above,

but someone had blown their 4.0L WJ engine, and the junky guy doubled the price for a used engine because it was a harder to find WJ block.

It was batted back & forth, then some of the posts seemed to confirm their was motormount & water pump clocking changes.

A Naxja thread also discusses it:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015349