MJ is ALIVE - tranny Q's

I have finally gotten the MJ on the road, registered and legal. I took it for a spin (~30 miles) yesterday. 88 4.0L D30/D44 combo, BA-10 w/3.07 gears. 2-3" lift 31" BFG's came with it.

Ran great, xlnt throttle response, nice smooth idle (a little knock at idle when cold) shifted through all gears without any issues, got it up to 70 mph, ran at just under 210 with about 50 +/- psi oil pressure. Ride was a little rough and there were some odd noises here and there but nothing too weird.

My question - what's wrong with the BA-10, specifically. I know it's considered "light duty" and generally a POS, but for me, this particular trip, it performed very well. Lots of torque, smooth shift, smooth downshift, good on the hills - up AND down, no issues.

When they do fail, what fails? Do they just grenade or is it a gradual thing like popping out of gear or trouble shifting? I have an AW4 to swap in when I'm not happy with it or it goes south, but right now I have other issues (like suspension) to deal with.

88 4.0L D30/D44 combo w/3.07 gears. 2-3" lift 31" tires came with it.

You hit the nail on the head. It's a light duty trans that's barely rated for the power of the 4.0L. Whereas most manual trans missions are rated for 150%, 200% (or even more) of the engine's power, the Peugeot is borderline around 100%. One number I found online years ago puts it at 90%. In theory they can blow at any time, but typically they throw hissy-fits beforehand, like rough shifting or reverse refusing to go into gear. Mine did that now and again, then one day while just idling along on the freeway, it went BANG and blew a hole out the side of the case, draining the oil and causing me a ton of grief as I tried to limp my way home.

Bottom line: be kind to it and it will live longer, but be prepared and know what to do when it fails. :thumbsup:

you can see the difference in beef in this pic of the AX-15 next to the Peugeot.

I hear they start popping out of reverse. Grenade with dumping the clutch, heavy towing.

Two of mine have bearing noises coming from the front mainshaft bearing.

Both of these will or have been replaced with AX-15s.

Besides, for the cost of a tow home, I could get very close to having an AX-15 for my truck. +/- $200 bucks

That is my general cost est. for the tranny alone. After all said and done probably more. Just depends where and how you get your replacement. I lucked out and got my last AX-15 231 combo with all accessories for $125. Plus about a hundred in fuel and the cost of a motel for the night. Made for a nice weekend drive.

If your tranny is working OK, you don't abuse it and the oil has been changed. That tranny could live for a long time or it might just go boom tomorrow. There are many people who have them that are aware of their limitations treated them accordingly and had them last for many years. Myself, I like the boonies, wouldn't want to have to walk home because of something I know was week and could have avoided.

BTW, the AX-4,5s is/are 4cyl transmissions, would probably last less time than the goat.

You hit the nail on the head. It's a light duty trans that's barely rated for the power of the 4.0L. Whereas most manual trans missions are rated for 150%, 200% (or even more) of the engine's power, the Peugeot is borderline around 100%. One number I found online years ago puts it at 90%. In theory they can blow at any time, but typically they throw hissy-fits beforehand, like rough shifting or reverse refusing to go into gear. Mine did that now and again, then one day while just idling along on the freeway, it went BANG and blew a hole out the side of the case, draining the oil and causing me a ton of grief as I tried to limp my way home.

Bottom line: be kind to it and it will live longer, but be prepared and know what to do when it fails. :thumbsup:

you can see the difference in beef in this pic of the AX-15 next to the Peugeot.

That was the one and only issue I've had as yet. It pops out of reverse. It's new to me and I have yet to change the oil...but I also don't want to get stuck way out somewhere...cause I don't know what to do.

So for now, since it's still a project and not a DD, it's seeing very limited road or trail. I'll drive the XJ to the woods...deal with the suspension issues and have a back-up plan for the MJ...called an AW4 or AX15

...I thought this would be easier...

Thanks guys!!

The Pukey can last awhile if you're nice to it, but it also... well, might not. The only issues I ever had with one was popping out of first if you didn't lay on the shifter. I abused that trans, and it never exploded, but that's not saying it wasn't about to.

Could it take abuse? Yes.

Could it last 500k? Sure.

Is it a good idea to think it will? No.

It's ok now, but don't trust it.

It's ok now, but don't trust it.

Sounds like my first wife... :brows:

I guess they don't have all those pet names for it - Puko, Pukey, Puke Goat - for nothing. I was curious as to the specifics. Thanks.

In looking at the FSM diagrams it does look kinda funky in design...and Pete, thanks for the pics...makes things a little clearer as to the design and manufacture of respective units. AX15 does look beefier.

The AX-15 is bigger overall, has bigger ribs and has a huge thick ring around the midsection (for the life of me I can't keep it straight if it's steel or aluminum, but the AX-15 has the one material, the AX-5 has the other).

The peugeot was already in existence (over in france-land) when the 4.0 was first installed and it was run behind weaker engines. The 4.0L was a BEAST for a 6-banger back in the day.