I think my transmission is dieing Edit:Found the problem

So I was going to to a little wheeling up behind Rattle Snake Mtn today. I head up the road by the water tower, get a little ways in and the Jeep starts lurching really bad. Enough to kill the engine. I manage to get it turned around and slowly head out.

It was almost impossible to keep it moving forward smoothly on the dirt road. Its just lurching forward. But as soon as my tires hit the pavement it smooths out considerably. I was able to get up to 35 mph but as soon as I hit any kind of bump (manhole, transition in the pavement, pot hole etc.) it lurches. Kind of feels like when you have it in too high of a gear for the speed you're traveling. I did manage to limp home at least.

What do you guys think? Clutch plate worn out? This is my first manual vehicle so I'm not sure what the problem could be or if its even something I can fix myself.

Follow up:

Ok it might be electrical. I drove it around the neibourghhood and found a couple things. First the battery guage is reading just above 9v (I checked the battery with my multimeter and I'm getting 12v at the posts), also the turn signals are really slow. And my RPMs remained high (1500 or so) at idle. It finally dropped after a few minutes.

Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

have you checked the trans to see if it has fluid. i would also check the diffs to while your at it

I would if I could. I think I found the fill plug on the transmission. On the drivers side there is a Torx bolt flush mounted to the transmission. Unfortunately I don't have the right size Torx.

Drain it out completely (AX-5 is nice enough to have a drain plug on the belly of the trans), and fill it with a pre-measured amount through the shifter hole. I don't remember exactly how much it is, but IIRC, a 4wd AX-5 takes about 3 1/2 quarts.

Ok it might be electrical. I drove it around the neibourghhood and found a couple things. First the battery guage is reading just above 9v (I checked the battery with my multimeter and I'm getting 12v at the posts), also the turn signals are really slow. And my RPMs remained high (1500 or so) at idle. It finally dropped after a few minutes.

Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

I checked the alternator and battery and both are fine, so I started checking continuity on wires leading from the altenerator. And I think I found the culprit.

Checked the continuity between the alternator and the broken end of this wire and this is the one leading from the alternator. It was connected to this next to the alternator.

Looks like some DIY splice hack job.

After unwrapping the electrical tape the two ends look like this.

I'm gonna see if Kragen can get me the correct wire.