more hub woes

Finally got my DS axle nut off, and went to do the old trick of putting the socket on the end of the bolt an turning the wheel to pop it off. The socket wouldn't make contact, some i put an extension on it an in turn bent the bolt :fs2: . Replaced it, and left the old hub on cause my fire department went out on a nice big forest fire :ack: . So now i guess i'll try beating it off, but people say i have to replace the bolts? I'm guessing the bolts that rub through the knuckle into the hub, since these are the only bolts you really have to take off. :help: please

Last summer I had to replace a front hub assembly on our 2001 Ram 2500, and what a pain that was. Tried beating it with a hammer, then a bigger hammer but still nothing. 8 years of Canadian winters takes its toll. So here's how I got mine off: I wanted to get a cold chisel in to drive it away from the steering knuckle but it was too tight. So I took the sawzall and turned the speed right down and cut very slowly down in between the steering knuckly and the hub assembly about an 1/8 of an inch, just enough to get my chisel started. Took my hammer and chisel and after a couple good hard hits it started to separate. If you take your time and be careful you should only cut the hub assembly and not hurt the steering knuckle.

The only way I could get mine off was to use a sledghammer and hit the crap out of the outer edge of the hub.

I was replacing with new so it didn't matter if the hub was beat on. It took a lot of grunt, but it finally started seperating then came off.

Good Luck

I got my dana 30 hubs out by whacking the crap out of them, as has been said. Put a cheap socket on the head of the bolt if you're reusing it and get out the 4lb hand sledge... turning the wheel to one side then the other will help you get a better angle on them. Once they start moving, it usually is pretty easy to get them out. I wouldn't want to use anything less than a 3lb hammer, that's for sure.

While you're in there, replace the U-joint maybe? At that point you might as well just to avoid going through the whole rigamarole again. Load the hub up with antiseize before you put it back in though just in case :wavey: