A Comanche Named Sue (Sioux)

I went a different way with the dash. I did not end up using the ZJ cluster. I had to cut so much of the factory dash that it made it weak. It would flex and twist very easily.To make a ZJ dash fit you would have to cut about 3" out of it and mold it back together.

That is what I found out last night. I think about 4 inches. I might look into it more, but I think it is too much work. So, I am back to sourcing parts from a late model Cherokee.

Tom

I took off the vynil cap, wiring and other stuff off the GC dash. I don't have a complete dash. I need to seperate the plastic frame from the metal frame. Then I'll have to see were the best place to take out to narrow it. I am thinking a cut at the steering column channel and the top middle bracket. On the vynil cap, I am hoping to be able to cut 4 inches on the drivers end. That is problably the best place to hide a seam. Weather it will work or not, remains to be seen. Its a free dash, so its just time.

Tom

I'll look into chopping out that vent. I am thinking of slicing were the cluster hump meets the flat of the glove box side for the vinyl. I need to go to the PnP this next weekend and see if I can find the missing dash parts. That would help a lot.

Tom

I went to the PnP Saturday. I snagged a bunch of the dash trim parts I was missing. I also got the heater control and the instrument cluster for a '95. I did put the steel frame for the dash in to see what I need to do. I need to cut 2 inches from each side, to keep the center radio,heater controls etc. centered. I am looking at 2 inches on the three channel bars on the glove compartment side. There is a space just right of the steering wheel column that has rear defroster/rear wiper control. I'll be cutting that out, or at least narrowing it. It depends on how I shorten the plastic under shell. I think 2 inches will preclude using the GC cluster. I might need to adapt a '95 Cherokee cluster I have. I will need to cut off and relocate the warning light block.

I also looked at GC and Cherokee center consuls, E-Brake/parking brake and tilt steering wheels. I have GC E-Brake. Their cable runs through the body. The Cherokkees goes under the body at the mechanism. So for a Comanche, I think the GC's will work better. The '95 GC steering column should bolt up with no mods. It pivots mainly the head of the steering column. The latter Cherokee ones pivot further under the dash. So you need to adapt the aluminum bracket.

I will need to use a 97-99 Cherokee heater controls. The GC has an electronic heat control, while the Cherokee has a cable control. That should match the present Comanche's cable control.

Tom

The ZJ sterring column will NOT bolt in. The angle is different where it mounts and goes through the firewall. The steering wheel will be about 2" above the seat. You will need to either cut the firewall area out of the ZJ. Which is a pain because it is 2 pieces and it has seam sealer holding it together. Or modify a later model (95 or 96 only) XJ column to fit. Those are pretty much your only options.

Well, I went in to work early yesterday, and flex time to get to the PnP about 2 pm. Getting there I found out I forgot my tool box. I went in anyways, but no one had torx bits. I drove to Advanced and bought some tools, $50. The Torx set was $30. I couldn't get the doors off. The lower bolts were rusted in there. I couldn't find anyone with a sawzall. I might go back with a sawzall on Saturday.

Anyways, I went to NAPA to pick up one rear brake cable I plan to modify to work with the Ford Disk. Then got a burger to eat. I got home and decided to do some wrenching. I took out the old steering column. I laid it nex to the GC's. They were the same length, but the bolt plate was in a different location. I put the GC's in the Comanches to see what the fit would be. The firewall bolting plate didn't match. It seemed like it would swivel a bit. I messed with it, and the end came off. There is a donut rubber ring that holds the flange piece on. I put the GC steering column back in. It fit, but I had to drill out the plastic clips a bit. Then slid it back in and bolted it in place. I put the drivers seat in. Hopped in to see how it felt. The steering wheel was in a good position. It might need to come out about 2 inches. I had the seat all the ways back. My legs felt good in that position to the pedals. I will need to make a plate or flange to adapt it to the firewall. I put in the link between the steering column and the gear box. It fit. I think think moving the column out about 2 inches would help some though.

I also, think that going to a center parking -brake, remove the parking brake from the drivers side, will allow more room. So, I plan to bend the clutch pedal to the left. Also, try to put in a bit bigger brake pedal.

I did part the drivers side dash frame. I started to cut the passengers side. Still, trying to figure out where to cut the dash cover. I might get rid of the defog vent on the passengers side, ot move it a bit. I also looked at the instrument panels. The GC the smaller guages are angled out. On the Cherokees they are on top of each other. I plan to put in the Cherokke gauges into the GC gauge housing. Then use the bottom warning lights of the GC.

Went to the PnP, again, Saturday. I borrowed a Sawzall and got the two doors off a blue '98 Cherokee. They were $55 each. No mirror or panel. I'll get some panels for $35 each. I also got the clockspring and steering wheel to add cruise to my '98 Cherokee. I already have the cruise servo. I also pulled the headliner and sound bar, but no speaker covers. Also, the coolant overflow bottle and braket. Its a bit different than a '95. So, I'll see how the fuse box fits.

There was a '95 4-cyl MT Cherokee. I pulled the steering column and took the adapter. I broke a part that was not on mine. It might have been a lockout for the MT trans. I was going to pull a steering box from a Durango/Dakota, but I was getting a bit worn out. I also forgot my hammer.

On Sunday, I pulled one of the Ranchero shocks from the Comanche. It was dead. I was going to put them in the Cherokee. Then I pulled the '96 GC steering column from the Comanche and put on the adapter. It pushed the column about 1 inch out. I had to drill out, or slot the plastic isolators on the column. I'll also have to do that to the adapter's bolts holes. They at spaced out a bit wider. I did some hacking on the dash steel frame. I still need to do some more trial fitting. I am thinking of using the Comanches channel over the steering column. It attaches on the bolts there. It is about the same width. I did center the center vent/radio/heater control section and see what needed to be cut.

I did borrow a sawzall, and I broke the charger for it. I'll have to get it repaired.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I made the weekly trip to the PnP on Sunday. I saw a Comanche with a rear sliding window, the three piece type last week. The taillights were busted. I went back this weekend with some of the saw cord, a box knife and a long scraper. The saw cord didn't work very well. I used the box knife and the scraper to get out the window.

I went to the other PnP. I tried the week before to pull a steering gear box from a Dodge Durango. I couldn't get the knuckle joint to the tie rod to break free. I took a pickle fork this time, and a few smacks it was free.

I also bought a '98 Cherokee. Its purple, trashed interior, smacked in both drivers side doors, motor probably blown. $500 delivered. I think I have the Green one sold. Neighbor has a 2000 4.0L block that needs a cam and is miising a piston. It is actually mine or was mine. So, I should get a good running engine out of the two. I don't know the milage.

I'm still trial fitting the GC dash frame. I took the Comanches dash support around the steering column. It is angled back in the rear. So I cut it both sides and made it flat. From the looks of it, I'll take 1 inch from the drivers side and 3 inches from the passengers side.

I did cut the '98 Cherokee headliner I have into sections, to see how it will/would fit in the Comanche. I left the sections long, to see where I need to place the seem. There are two depressions for the rear seat belts. I plan to cut just in back of there and then match the front piece. The speakers will be fairly close to my head though. I'm also looking to cut the overhead nav pod to fit. I looked breifly at that.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I was on vaction last week. Went to PA. I took the Mean Green Cherokee. Yeh, gas prices didn't make me happy. I went to Joes EZ Pull in New Ringold PA. I got a set of Comanche Taillights for $20, and a set of Bucket seats for $10. Oh, happy day. The seats are a bit dirty, and the passengers has a small amount of wear. Then I drove up to Harrys, in Hazleton. I was looking for parts on late model Cherokees, and more Comanche tailights. I didn't see any Comanches. I was going to drive up to Scranton for a drivers side rear purple door for a purple Cherokee I have. I got one at Harrys for $33, an airbag, under hood light, rear speaker cover, a set of infinity speakers, turn signal or marker lights, and some other parts. I was running out of money. I then went fishing on the little Leheigh. I managed two trout, and lost another. I fished Stoney by Daulphin, caught three and lost one. The creeks were up, but running fairly clean. I fished Penns. It was way up. To dangerous to wade. I didn't catch any. There were some rising. I think to caddis, but I think I didn't have a small enough pattern. I caught one on Elks the next day and lost two.

Tom