Real deal on xj leafs

I've been looking around on the site for a few years now with the hopes of some day picking up an MJ....well that day has come. A bunch of the guys in my local club went together and bought me a 88 MJ long bed as a wedding gift. (best wedding present ever i might add :D ). Right now the plan is to keep wheeling my xj and set the mj up as a dd till i have the time and money to build what i want. Wasted to much building my xj in stages and don't want to make the same mistake. That being said, i can't just leave my new toy stock..... As it sits now i have 2" spacers in the front and 31's on it. I want to net about 2" or so of lift in the rear as cheap as possible keeping it sprung under. The "lift kit" will be pretty much thrown away once I swap the axles for full widths and a SOA at a later date. I've read a lot of contradictory info all over the place, so here's my question:

How much lift will you gain by using the main leaf from an xj (eyes cut off), as an AAL in an MJ sprung under?

Thanks!

How much lift will you gain by using the main leaf from an xj (eyes cut off), as an AAL in an MJ sprung under?

I haven't done it yet, but my guess is ... almost zero. I hope to test that this summer. My guess is that cut-off XJ main leaves will add carrying capacity without adding much lift, thus replicating the Metric Ton spring on a budget.

Using cut-off XJ main leaves as AALs in an XJ yields 1-1/4" t 1-1/2". Most people say 1-1/2" but the one I did came in at 1-1/4" gross. The rear had sagged some, so the actual net lift was really only about 3/4" over stock height. (Which was perfect for the purpose with that vehicle).

If you're looking for around 2 inches, I think you need to use cut-off MJ mains, or mains from some other spring-under vehicle. XJs are spring over and the springs have a lot less native arch.

I used the main XJ leaf as a AAL and got about 2 inches. In the front, I used V8 ZJ coils (1/2") and 1.5" spacers. That was just right to run 245/75/16 tires on Moab wheels.

When I went SOA, I just took the XJ main leaves out and gave them to another MJ guy.

You should get a lift out of any of them. but precisely how much will depend on the sag in your leafs, and the sag in the new leafs. It's not an exact science. I built new packs for my truck from identical but rust free leafs, and gained a couple inches (that I didn't want).

HellCreek sells an AAL made from an MJ main leaf that adds a inch or so. Comes with hardware too.