4"-4.5" lift wiht Ford 8.8

New hear, but have been on other Jeep Boards. I am getting close to doing a lift on my '88 Comanche. I am going with a Ford 8.8 with 4:10 ratio. I don't have the rear end yet. I have been looking at Rusty's rear leaf springs. I think this board likes Hell's Creek's. I will check into them. I didn't see any price or even lift kits on their website though.

I want to retain the axle over the springs. Since the Ford 8.8 is about 3-5/16 OD and the D35 is about 2-1/2. So there is about 3/8 difference. Is that much to worry about, etc. I will probably be putting a Dana 44 latter for the front axle. Mine is 2wd at the moment. I have a NV3550 for the tranny and a Dana 300 for the TC. That will be getting a 4:1 gear kit.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Tom

Pete,

I'll be getting a Ford 8.8 from a 95 or Newer Ford Exploerer. That's for the rear disk brakes. I haven't selected a Dana 44, but probably from a Jeep CJ-7. For my setup, I am going with a passenger drop. That way, I don't need a clocking ring. I have already drilled the NV3550 for the bolt holes.

I am looking at the MJ 3" lift in the For Sales section. I'll have to check is those shocks would work for 4 to 4.5 inch lift. Also, weather I can use spacers for those springs.

Tom

Pete,

The Exploerer should have the same BC as the MJ. I haven't worked out the Dana 44, yet. That is a future project. I could possibly get some Moser axles drilled for the MJ's present BC.

As far as the exhaust, I am thinking of running it straight back. I will have to see how that interferes with the gas tank. I might have to put the gas tank on the passenger side.

Tom

When did CJs come with a Dana 44 front axle? I realize I only have a cursory knowledge of them, but I thought they had low pinion Dana 30s. :dunno:

and I'd be mad at myself if I didn't at least mention that you could save yourself a lot of headaches by running an NP-231. Why did you choose to go with the Dana 300?

Pete,

You may be right on the CJ axles. I went with the Dana 300, I guess more for I wanted to be different. With twin sticks and 4:1 ratio it will give me flexibility of FW, RW and 4WD in both Hi and Low. I'll probably never use it though.

Tom

I've had the same thoughts :D , and while it'd be a cool thing to have, I went with a 99 231 t-case because the amount of work to adapt to the 300 became just crazy (or crazy expensive). Thought about a flip kit to the 300? There really isn't any good front axle options that are a passenger side drop, except maybe a Dana 60, and even that is low pinion like the rest.

I never really though about a flip kit. I think there are other options on a Passenger side drop. I haven't really looked at that problem in a while. My main concern at the present is the Ford 8.8 and what I need to do to get an even lift, Front and rear. Rusty's list a 4.5" lift kit. Then the rear springs on their site says 4" lift. I didn't know about Hell Creek spring options. The Metric Ton springs with their long AAL might work. I just didn't see link to it on their website.

I was originally looking at DPG for some front spring or RE setup. Still, a bit expensive. I might have to see what the rear lift nets and then match springs to that. Spacer or the adjustable spacer might work out. Mine will be a daily driver, so some ride comfort is wanted/needed.

Tom

I did a websearch:

'74-'79 Wagoneer Narrow-Track Dana 44

Differential Location: Passenger side

Lug Pattern: 6-on-5.5

Good For: At about 60 inches wide it's a good streetable swap for most Jeeps with a passenger drop T-case

Pros: Very common in wrecking yards, heavy-duty axle tubes, cheap, easy to convert to other popular lug patterns with bolt-on junkyard parts

Cons: Will need to outboard mount leaf springs if used on CJ or YJ

Identified By: Stop sign like diff cover, spring-under housing, 60 inches wide

'74-'79 Cherokee Chief/J-Truck Wide-Track Dana 44

Differential Location: Passenger side

Lug Pattern: 6-on-5.5 and 8-on-6.5 (some truck)

Good For: It's basically a full-width axle (66 inches wide), good for light-duty full-width conversions on CJs, YJs, TJs, XJs and others with a swapped in passenger side drop T-case

Pros: Fairly common, heavy-duty axle tubes, easy to convert to other popular lug patterns with bolt-on junkyard parts

Cons: Will need to outboard-mount leaf springs if used on CJ or YJ, spring-under housing

Identified By: Stop sign like diff cover, spring-under housing, 66 inches wide

So at least one option. Maybe a few inches wide and the bolt pattern is different. Still, doable.

If you go with the widetrack version, then a great match is a rear Dana 44 from a 95ish v6 Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport. It's got disk brakes, same width and 6 bolt pattern as the widetrack Jeep, and comes with either 4.10 or 4.30 gears. The only glitch is the flange needs to be swapped for a U-bolt flange.

Height numbers for springs are always a crapshoot. They all have a "range".

Yeah, the hellcreek website isn't the greatest. :dunno: check the thread in the classifieds and send him a PM with your needs. :thumbsup: