More axle swap questions.

Please forgive if these questions have been asked a thousand times, and yes I used the search first. (Diddnt find exact info I was looking for) I just want to insure the next MJ mod goes smooth!

I want to do the common swap of the 3.07 disconnect front 30 and 3.07 rear 35 in my 90 MJ longbed to a 3.55 HP 30 non disco front and a Dana 44 rear.

There are axles for sale close to me at a resonable price but I want to insure they are good axles and will swap without problems. Seller claims they are 3.54 geared open non disco front HP 30 and rear 44 from an 89 XJ. Could you get a non disco front HP 30 in an 89? My truck is a 90 and it still has the disco axle. Was the 44 still available with the tow package in 89? If the axles are legit, are they a good swap into my truck?

I know I will have to have the rear axle and shock mounts moved because the MJ and XJ are diffrent. Do most cut the mounts off the MJ 35 and reweld them onto the 44, or purchase new ones? If new mounts need to be purchased, where do you buy them? Will the driveshafts and u joints work with the swap or do they need to be changed?

Finally I know the speedo gear will need to be changed. Anybody know the gear for 30 or 31 inch tires with AX 15 and 3.54 gears?

Thanks in advance.

In the XJ's if it had a NP242 TC than it will have a non-CAD Dana 30 front axle. So it's very possible for that '89 to have what you state.

The Dana 44 was offered in the XJ's from 1987-1989; so once again very possible that it was in that XJ.

The u-joints will be the same on your d-shift and will bolt directly up to the D44 yoke. The D44 has a slightly larger "snout" (aka it's longer); so depending on what TC/Tranny you have you may have to worry about how far the yoke is in your TC output shaft (though I doubt that you'll have any issues from just going from the D35 to the D44).

Buy new perches; they are cheap and will be longer to help prevent axle wrap. Many aftermarket companies offer them as well as the dealer with the factory Mopar option.

You will want a 33 tooth gear with a 30" tire, or a 32 tooth gear with a 31" tire.

Go to the dealer for the perches, they arre cheaper, stronger and come in pairs and you can have them next day if ordered before 2 with no shipping. MOPAR makes very nice perches and they are only like 12 or 18 bucks for the pair... can't remember exactly. They may be your best bet for a speedo gear too... good luck!

• 1 month later...

This axle swap never got done. The seller of the axles I was looking at backed out of the sale.

I'm still looking to swap my front HP 30 disco and rear 35. Since I am going to be looking for axles, what is the best year Cherokee to get a non disco front HP 30 from? I know I have to get the entire axle including knckles, bearings and brakes.

There may be a 91 3.55 non disco HP 30 for sale near me. Is this year good or should I look for a later year?

Is there a specific place to buy the spring perches and shock mounts? I try and stay away from the dealers around here.

By FAR the best deal for spring perches is the Mopar perches from the Performance Catalog. Even at full list they should cost you less than half of what you'll pay some aftermarket company, and the Mopar perches are probably beefier anyway. Or just cut off the old ones and reuse them. Easy to do -- the welds are all on the outside where it's easy to grind them out without damaging the perch or the axle.

You don't need shock mounts. The MJ shocks mount to the spring plates, not to the axle. You can leave the XJ shock mounts in place to save work, or grind them off the clean up the axle.

After you have priced the dealer, NAPA, and other rip offs, contact PATC Speed Shop, Bossier City, LA at 1-888-201-2066 and ask for a used Dodge (Same as Jeep) Speedometer Gear, Teeth & Shaft: 33 Tooth Long (That would be the yellow one). I have bought several from them in good as new condition. Price on mar 30th this year was $24 with $7 S&H. Their speedy shippers also.

I'm still looking to swap my front HP 30 disco and rear 35. Since I am going to be looking for axles, what is the best year Cherokee to get a non disco front HP 30 from? I know I have to get the entire axle including knckles, bearings and brakes.

Alot of good info on the last two posts. Thanks!

Is there a certian year Cherokee Front axle thats best? Is a non disco out of a 91 good?

Is there a certian year Cherokee Front axle thats best? Is a non disco out of a 91 good?

A '91 will probably still have the smaller u-joints, but other than that it's as good as any. I don't recall which year they changed to the larger front axle u-joints across the board -- '94? '96? Before that, vehicles with anti-lock brakes got the larger u-joints and the non-ABS vehicles got the 260s.

Here is how we mounted the spring perches . I still welded new shock mounts at the top and just made shock mounts for the lower . The 4x4 shops around here

have them just laying around so it was easy for us to see witch one fit better .

Here is how we mounted the spring perches .

Dave -- PLEASE tell me you welded the spring perches to the axle tubes after that first photo was taken.

Yes sir , that was just a pic of a close shot during the mock up stage , you can't see them in the second pic but they are welded now .

We ended up using a Tera-Flex SOA kit .