Wiper Woes

When I got the MJ, the wipers did not work. So last weekend I replaced the wiper motor. The old one was complete toast. I turned them on and they went on...briefly, before I realized they were jamming (yes, I put the arms on first :doh: ) for like 2 seconds. So, I took the arms off thinking they were just jamming because I installed them on the upstroke when they should been on the downstroke. Now, they don't work again. Is there a fuse, I couldn't find one, circuit breaker??

Is it possible to put the motor in WRONG? As in orientation to the arm assembly? I thought it all went together just like I took it apart...but then it is ME working on it. :dunno:

do you have intermittent wipers? there's always a chance the control box under the dash has gone haywire. It's a plastic box maybe 3 inches across that has a bunch of wires going in and out. if you undo the connectors, they will connect to each other and bypass the box.

do you have intermittent wipers? there's always a chance the control box under the dash has gone haywire. It's a plastic box maybe 3 inches across that has a bunch of wires going in and out. if you undo the connectors, they will connect to each other and bypass the box.

I swapped in a known working intermittent control, from the XJ, still no go. I may just do as you said and eliminate the box for now, makes sense. Nice to know that if the wipers on either vehicle DO go south in the future (intermittently) I can delete that box and still have wipers.

...but, is it at all POSSIBLE to install the motor onto the arms backwards. If so I think I need to take it out and re-install it (yes, no, maybe??)...oh, edit, and is there a fuse for the wipers??

I found the breaker in the fuse box was corroded and would cause the wipers to stop working. Try wiggling the breaker while the wipers are on and see if they try to move.

I took out the circuit breaker, the whole thing was in pretty bad shape. Cleaned up the contacts, cleaned the sockets, nothin'.

Is this a part that's readily available. Universal even? Looks basic.

did you see the wiper arm bushing write up in the DIY forum?

Yes, if you're talking about the one by CW. I did the bushings, no problem. I didn't see anything (maybe I'm blind) about oreintation of the arms on the motor. It just seems like it's bound up somewhere, somehow. I'm going to get a new breaker, take it from there. May have to remove it and see where I messed up.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I finally got these wipers working. I believe it may have been a voltage problem since my battery has just been sitting for weeks.

Any hoo, the wipers work BUT they work exactly backwards. In other words, they go back and forth fine, they work on all speeds of the intermittent mode, they work when I just flip it to wash mode on the stick. However, when I turn the wipers OFF at the stalk, they revert to straight up instead of parallel with the bottom of the windshield.

I'm assuming that I have the hook-up AT the motor backwards!! :dunce:

It looked good when I put it back together but...Any feedback??

Okay, so you found the park position. Now what would happen if you removed the arms and placed them in the horizontal position at the bottom of the windshield where they normally rest when in off position? Would they move through their cycle as intended and then park in the proper position when turned off?

Okay, so you found the park position. Now what would happen if you removed the arms and placed them in the horizontal position at the bottom of the windshield where they normally rest when in off position? Would they move through their cycle as intended and then park in the proper position when turned off?

No. If I just removed the arms and put them in the desired parked position, when I turned them on they would try to rotate downward and jam into the bezel. I'm thinking I have the mechanism (not the motor) installed backwards, ergo the :dunce: .

It would not be the first time (or the second) I have done something bonehead like this. I gonna go out and try to fix it right now.

Done! jamminz.gif

I had bolted the piece that attaches the motor to the arms at a complete 180. :dunno:

I had to remove the motor assembly with the plug attached, run the wipers, turn off the key to access the nut and flip the little bar around (180). Turn the ignition back on, motor in hand and turn the wipers off at the stalk so they came to the park position, then position the little bar, bolt it up.

I seem to remember CWLongshot say something about keeping track of the position when doing the bushing change. :shake: Memory ain't what it used to be.