3 unrelated (?) questions.

I tried searching, but no luck without alot of reading...

1. What is ECTED. How is it different from an LSD or other lockers?

2. Proportioning valve - This is foreign to me, nothing like it that I can see on my 90 XJ. The one on the MJ is just hanging there. What does it do...can I live without it? Delete it?

2" of lift on shackles currently.

3. Does anyone run "overload" springs on their MJ??

Thanks

1. That's an electric selectable.

2. The rear prop valve on the MJ is a load sensing valve, to send more braking power to the rear the more you're loaded down. Yes you can live without it, a good amount of people have bypassed it using an XJ unit.

3. All MJs came with Overload springs. It's the short, thicker one on the bottom.

3. All MJs came with Overload springs. It's the short, thicker one on the bottom.

Actually I meant the kind that are bolted to the top of the leaf...with an arch and two square u-bolts.

They put a concentrated load on two points in the spring pack. They are a GREAT way to break your springs.

I believe at least one member is running them (has a camper shell) and another member bought his truck with them on (but then removed them I think)

What are you looking to accomplish with the aftermarket overload?

I tried searching, but no luck without alot of reading...

1. What is ECTED. How is it different from an LSD or other lockers?

2. Proportioning valve - This is foreign to me, nothing like it that I can see on my 90 XJ. The one on the MJ is just hanging there. What does it do...can I live without it? Delete it?

2" of lift on shackles currently.

3. Does anyone run "overload" springs on their MJ??

Thanks

I have a couple ECTED’s and first off DO NOT RECOMMEND ONE. I have one in my TH with an 8.8 and it has given me zero problems. I have three people in my club with them and ALL have problems of one kind or another. I bought a second one when I put the D44 in the MJ. It didn’t work and I got the absolute worst customer service from Auburn you could imagine. Outright lies about shipping and the issues at hand. I finally got one that kinda worked…when it wanted to. It ALWAYS took a couple miles to minutes to engage. Recently it doesn’t work at all and is coming back out and going back…AGAIN!!

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/p ... f9d7f93179

It is a electrically switch able (yea rite) from limited slip to locker. Different, (cause it don’t work) because many are open when off and the ECTED is a LS when off.

A “prop” valve is needed with a vehicle with discs and drums. It allows braking bias to give more braking power to the front where there is more weight for better braking effect. Yes you can delete it and run with out one. BUT changes to the lines need to be addressed. Do a search with “Eagle” and then “Pete” as a author and type on rear proportioning valve as a topic.

As mentioned all MJ’s came form the factory with a “overload” spring. Do you mean add-a leaf? If you do this go with a full length leaf.

CW

Actually I meant the kind that are bolted to the top of the leaf...with an arch and two square u-bolts.

They put a concentrated load on two points in the spring pack. They are a GREAT way to break your springs.

That's what it looks like. They look like they would bind up easily and restrict any flex. So I'll take that as a NO.

About the Ected, I'll second what CW said.

I'm currently on my 2nd Ected in my D30 on my XJ. First one wouldn't ever lock up. This one now works when it feels like it. A friend has gone through 3 in his 8.8, and he thinks he finally got one that works correctly. Another friend went through 2 in a D35 before he swapped to an 8.8, and is in the process of trying to swap the coil from the last one (now blown) into his D30 Ected that the coil died in...

In theory it's a nice design, but it's rare to ever see one work properly.

2. The rear prop valve on the MJ is a load sensing valve, to send more braking power to the rear the more you're loaded down. Yes you can live without it, a good amount of people have bypassed it using an XJ unit.

At this point all I have to do is bolt it to the diff. Will having even the 2" in the rear affect the valve? At what point does the amount of lift affect it?

...and on the ECTED subject...am I better off with the LSD?

I believe at least one member is running them (has a camper shell) and another member bought his truck with them on (but then removed them I think)

Saw them on a Ford Ranger...guy said he did alot of towing (utility, toys, etc). I'll be doing the same.

:dunno:

Any amount of lift will affect it. Shouldn't be too hard to make yourself another rod that's 2" longer.

That's what I was thinking. I can make it for sure, but seems like there'd be a part out there for that. Or is there, and I'm just clueless?

At this point all I have to do is bolt it to the diff. Will having even the 2" in the rear affect the valve? At what point does the amount of lift affect it?

...and on the ECTED subject...am I better off with the LSD?

Any lift at all affects it, but if it's not connected now how are you going to know where to attach it? The factory service manual says that any time it is serviced it has to have a new clock spring installed and be calibrated with a special tool. Most dealers tossed the tool years ago, and the replacement spring isn't available anyway.

CW is correct regarding the type of proportioning valve found in Cherokees. That compensates for the difference between drum brakes in the rear and discs in the front. The one in the rear of Comanches is different. When a pickup has no load in it, the rear is very light and it's easy to have the rear brakes lock up before the front, causing a spinout. So it's desirable when the truck is empty to limit the amount of braking force to the rear axle. But when the truck is loaded, you want as much braking power as you can get, so just putting small/weak brakes on the back isn't the answer.

The rear valve in the Comanche (other trucks use similar devices) regulates the amount of fluid pressure going to the rear brakes on the basis of how much the box settles down closer to the axle. More load = lower ride height = more brakes.

Saw them on a Ford Ranger...guy said he did alot of towing (utility, toys, etc). I'll be doing the same.

:dunno:

HellCreek offers both an AAL made from an MJ main leaf (adds some capacity and raises it up an inch), and also an AAL that brings the payload capacity up to Big Ton numbers.