Will a 97+ XJ radiator bolt right in my 89 Mj?

I need a new radiator and also want to convert to an open system to hopefully help with my overheating issues. From what I have read, a newer XJ radiator is a easy swap as long as I get the hoses and overflow tank. The Junk Yard near me has a very low mileage automatic 2000 XJ that I can get the parts off of.

Is there anything else I need to be prepared for?

The 01' XJ radiator dropped right into my 88' MJ.

I don't remember any issues, other than where to put the bottle, with the Renix engine controls (the coil & relays are where the overflow bottle wants to be).

I read that link and it is very helpful, but I didn't see anything about the 97+ XJ one fitting.

jpnjim - Thanks, that is good to hear. There isn't a tranny cooler built into the automatic version is there? My automatic liberty radiator has that and I'm not sure how I would plug the holes if it does since I wouldn't need them.

I need a new radiator and also want to convert to an open system to hopefully help with my overheating issues. From what I have read, a newer XJ radiator is a easy swap as long as I get the hoses and overflow tank. The Junk Yard near me has a very low mileage automatic 2000 XJ that I can get the parts off of.

Is there anything else I need to be prepared for?

When I converted to "open" cooling I bought the cheapest 91+ ebay single core plastic radiator I could find (it was close to $100 shipped IIRC). By luck, it still had the bung in it for the Renix coolant temp (electric fan control) sensor. I simply removed the plug and the Renix sensor threaded right in. A solution for the Renix temp sensor placement would be the toughest part of the swap because AFAIK most 91+ radiators eliminated that bung for that sensor.

When I was rummaging through the junkyard awhile back I ran across a Renix that was converted. It had a short piece of steel pipe plumbed inline with the lower radiator hose with a threaded fitting in it for the Renix sensor. It looked custom made.

I've found that a coolant bottle from a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick fits nicely in the space where the old pressure bottle was.

Don't forget to grab a radiator cap :banana: and about 6ft of small hose to run to the bottle.

Are all MJ's prewired for the electrical fan from the factory? I didn't see any empty plugs near the radiator that might be used for the fan. My radiator only has the hose inlet and outlets and a petcock that I can see so I assumed that it doesn't have a coolant temp sensor for the fan. Thanks for the help.

It does, its on the driverside of the radiator right above the lower radiator hose inlet.

Actually the radiator I bought was $63 Shipped! This is it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99-00-01-JEEP-CHEROKEE-RADIATOR_W0QQitemZ280378934426QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4147e3049a

You can see from the picture it has the bung for the Renix temp sensor in the middle of the radiator below the radiator cap, right above the lower radiator hose inlet