Track bar question.

I got the axle side of the track bar disconnected and got the jam nut backed off, but for the life of me, I can't get the bar to spin! What did you guys use to get it to spin? A pipe wrench? The axle needs to move towards the passenger side about 3/4" or so to get the truck to track right.

Thanks,

Matt

A pipe wrench is a good start. I would also douse the threaded part by the TRE with PB a few times, let it sit for awhile, and then give it a shot. It's amazing what PB can accomplish.

Every Jeep mechanic should keep a can or two of this stuff around at all times.

PB-Blaster.jpg

Once I get the bar to the length I need, how can I get the axle moved over? I tried getting between the truck and a wall and tried pushing it over with my legs, but it didn't budge. I've got the front end off the ground, but it still didn't move. Any ideas? :dunno:

Matt

You put the front wheels ON the ground -- or on a pair of ramps. Have a helper sit in the driver's seat and turn the steering wheel gently. Without a track bar, instead of the road wheels turning, the chassis will shift laterally over the axle.

You put the front wheels ON the ground -- or on a pair of ramps. Have a helper sit in the driver's seat and turn the steering wheel gently. Without a track bar, instead of the road wheels turning, the chassis will shift laterally over the axle.

Nice! I'll give that a shot!

Matt

So the front ends up in the air! I hope it's on nramps. Push the body, not the wheels, from the passengers side toward the drivers side and reconect the track bar. If your doing it by your-self use a jack somewhere between the axle and body to jack the body in the direction you want it to go, that way you won't need a helper. Thats my prefered method. Good luck.

Yup what he said. (:

While you're spritzing things with PB Blaster, spray down the sleeve on the drag link. After you center the axle under the truck, your steering wheel is going to be WAY off center and that's adjusted with the sleeve on the drag link.

While you're spritzing things with PB Blaster, spray down the sleeve on the drag link. After you center the axle under the truck, your steering wheel is going to be WAY off center and that's adjusted with the sleeve on the drag link.

Will do! :thumbsup:

Will do! :thumbsup:

Make sure you get the wheels straight by driving forward and back a few times before doing this. Then, when adjusting the turnbuckle, make sure the steering wheel is unlocked. I know it's a :doh: fact, but it's amazing how often that little detail is overlooked, myself included.

Easiest way to get the steering wheel straight is to go for a drive and note the position of the wheel when going straight down the road. Go back to the shop and park the vehicle with the steering wheel in that position. Then adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is straight. As mentioned above, with it unlocked of course. 8)

Well, I got the track bar disconnected on the axle side, got the jam nut backed off, sprayed liberally with PB Blaster last night, let it sit overnight, and I still can't get the Track bar to spin. I am using a pipe wrench and I still can't get it to move! Any suggestions? :dunno:

Matt