sheet metal ga

I used 14ga. steel on the floors. Too thick to form with a hammer, but I didn't need to do much forming. I think the original floor is 18 gauge? I'd go to home depot, lowes, or tractor supply and try bending the stuff so you can get a feel which will be the easiest to work with.

I forgot where it was, but when we were building a floor for my brothers 65 ford pickup we found a really good deal on 1'x1' galvenized sheet metal. it was about 18 gauge and worked really well. it mig welds just as easy as non galvenized and bent really well and is still strong. Just throwing that out there :D

I used 14ga. steel on the floors. Too thick to form with a hammer, but I didn't need to do much forming.

Sounds like you just need a bigger hammer! :cheers:

Haven't had to do floors in an MJ yet, but I've done four XJ's so far. For most parts I used either 14 or 16, depending on what I could get for free/cheap scrap from my supplier. In XJ's the areas around both ends of the spring hangers are the first to rot out, and those I typically redo with 1/8" plate to make sure they don't go anywhere again. All pieces I form by hand to fit.

I forgot where it was, but when we were building a floor for my brothers 65 ford pickup we found a really good deal on 1'x1' galvenized sheet metal. it was about 18 gauge and worked really well. it mig welds just as easy as non galvenized and bent really well and is still strong. Just throwing that out there :D

Hopefully you fully ground off the galvanized surface before welding? Welding with the zinc coating still on there can release some nasty stuff that's very hazardous to your health.