wtb transmisssion or tell me whats worng IN

camanchedriver23

i am looking for a five speed transmission for my 1990 4x4 comanche the one in it has had a rough life and when driving it makes a larg rubbing type noise in it and reverse third and fith no longer work it still drives fine and all and when i put it into 4lo it seems like it moves the gears further away? because i can get to them but i have to push really hard and hold it there to move reverse just cathes the same way and makes a larg clank sound I'm not sure but i belive it the ax-15 not positive though its just a 1990 4x4 shortbed 4.0l if you know whats wrong please help lol and if you got one in indian or ohio i woudl buy it thanks :cheers: here is mmy email aswell atvmaniac91@hotmail.com oh ya and it also even makes a noise when i let out on the clutch in neutral and its running it just makes a large grinding noise kinda

Sounds like it's reeealllly low on fluid, and cause things inside to go to hell.

I would pull the trans out, and open it up before you go looking for your replacement. It's pretty hard to kill and AX-15.

I'm assuming this isn't your only vehicle?

ya i got another comanche to drive i just picked this one up and the person before me i know does not do maintenance and runs the $%#! out of his vehicles I'm going to start pulling it tomarow i just wahsed all of the packed in bud from inderneath of it but the gears are there its like i can't reach them when i try to put it into the gear if you push really hard on it it will move just enough to hear it grind a bit and its got the ax-15 for sure i checked it all out while i was under there it will be moving into the garage tomarow so any tips or tricks to make it easier to drop it i am well mechanically inclined so this is not my first trans to be dropped i was just wondering so i can be ready for something that might come up

If its the same a the automatic there are two reverse torx bolts at the top of the bell housing. They are not easy to get at. You should replace them with regular bolts when you reinstall

X2 on installing regular bolts on the reinstall.... though theyre not that bad to get at if you pull the crossmember down and drop the trans a little bit on the jack before you attempt to remove them

thanks guys but i got it dropped and there were no torx up there they were regular and its an ax15 5 speed and surprisingly everything came out nice and easy probably one of the easiest trans drops ive ever done although i think someone else has already been into it but owell made it easier on me lol now i just need to find a new ax15 everything in was destroyed pretty much the oil is like water with alot of broke glass i dug into it and it cut me in like six places i have a post up in the mj progect i thiknk it shows how much metal was in there :wall: