anyone ever make rifle stocks?

JeepcoMJ

my room mate just gave me his 1943 mosin nagant M44 (M91/30) for part of his rent, and I'm looking to sportsterize it (for lack of better word).

thing is, I've got all of the paperwork on the gun dating back to 1943, so anything I do to it I want completely reversible.

I already bought a scope mount for it...was going to build one, but for $30, I got one that goes straight in place of the original iron sites.

Also got a sniper bolt for it on the way...the handle for that bends down 90 degrees so it opens with the scope on it. I've got (i think) a 5x60 scope that used to be on my dad's 30-06 cleveland, but he's since put the military scope back on that.

Anyways, the last thing I'd like to do to it is a sporty, comfortable stock. I can't justify $300 on a stock for a $150 gun, so I'd like to make one. I just can't bring myself to modify the original one...so I'm going to take whatever original parts I remove off of the gun and put them in my gun cabinet to keep safe.

basically the intent is to use it at the ranges when I can't hunt with it. It's quite a gun...I like it (alot) especially after putting around 40 rounds through it this weekend (and being dead nuts accurate, too!)

any ideas?

Russian bolt actions from the WW 2 , time frame are cool . That was a good solid rifle .

If in good condition its worth more than 150 bucks , I payed 380 .00 for my KR 98 . I also have a mint condition M1 A1 Garand and

I'm trying to get my hands on a BAR . The M1 is appraised at 2900.00 .. But was an actual issued weapon during that time frame .

IMHO build your own stock , Takes forever . There are a couple of places you can find stock blanks , you just trim and cut to specification .

However be careful of your local laws , modified barrels or stocks are banned in allot of places . unless your replicating the stock

to manufacture specs .

Check out this link.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-44-mosin- ... stock.aspx

I've seen the "sporterized" M44 and M91/30 stocks advertised other places too... Search around on the internet and you'll definitely find some hits.

I'm glad to see your not going to cut up the original stock. Too many of these rifles end up this way. They are fun rifles and very effective... Many of them are still very actively used by the Afghan Muj today.

Check out this link.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-44-mosin- ... stock.aspx

I've seen the "sporterized" M44 and M91/30 stocks advertised other places too... Search around on the internet and you'll definitely find some hits.

I'm glad to see your not going to cut up the original stock. Too many of these rifles end up this way. They are fun rifles and very effective... Many of them are still very actively used by the Afghan Muj today.

High speed ,

Low drag . :chillin:

yep. I was out target shooting with a friend who's got an AR15/.22 cal. his target is a 3/16" steel plate on a post that's mounted to a rim....blew a hole right through that with my 30-30, and a bigger hole with the russian.

I'm definitely a fan.

Right now, besides the mosin-nagant, I have a remington 870 express with slug and buck barrels, the winchester 30-30, and a couple of older remington .22's (one needs repaired, it was my great-grandpa's when he was a kid).

the 30-06 will eventually be mine, and IIRC my dad has something that he told me when I was younger was an "elephent gun"

yep. I was out target shooting with a friend who's got an AR15/.22 cal. his target is a 3/16" steel plate on a post that's mounted to a rim....blew a hole right through that with my 30-30, and a bigger hole with the russian.

I'm definitely a fan.

Right now, besides the mosin-nagant, I have a remington 870 express with slug and buck barrels, the winchester 30-30, and a couple of older remington .22's (one needs repaired, it was my great-grandpa's when he was a kid).

the 30-06 will eventually be mine, and IIRC my dad has something that he told me when I was younger was an "elephent gun"

Really that 30-30 is all you need .. :thumbsup:

I've got a lever action that throws high shock rounds through 3/16 like butter . I'm a big Lever 30-30 fan .

I'm definitely a fan.

Really that 30-30 is all you need .. :thumbsup:

I've got a lever action that throws high shock rounds through 3/16 like butter . I'm a big Lever 30-30 fan .

eh. I like the 30-30, but it's so damned short and stubby.

I'm more of a sniper type of guy. first time hunting, first time I shot a buck, first time I shot a gun bigger than a BB or .22, I dropped a 7 pointer with one clean shot from 250 yards with that 30-06. blew off the other side of his head, ruined the mount, but got some good venison :D

pics of the gun with iron sights removed and new 2-7x32 U.A.G. scope with UTG mount. all is reversible :D

when I got it

I just bought an ATI matte black stock for it...more of the barrel will be exposed, but the stock is a little longer in the shoulder area (which I desperately need), and it looks sportier.

all of this is 100% reversible :D