AW4 swap, need help

I have a 1988 2wd AW4 came out of an XJ that I'm selling and they guy wants to put it in his 1998 XJ that is the same setup. Will this work? I'm pretty sure it won't but I want to double check with you guys first. Thanks.

it will phsyically bolt in , but the 88 uses a cable driven speedo and the 98 is electric... at the very least, the check engine light will always be on and it will have a constant code for the Vehicle speed sensor, and the speedo/odometer won't work.. if there's no other options it can be done, but i would tell him to hold out until the proper one is available.

it will phsyically bolt in , but the 88 uses a cable driven speedo and the 98 is electric... at the very least, the check engine light will always be on and it will have a constant code for the Vehicle speed sensor, and the speedo/odometer won't work.. if there's no other options it can be done, but i would tell him to hold out until the proper one is available.

That will not be a problem as he can swap the 98 2WD tailpiece that has the electronic speed sensor to the 88 AW4. But I think he will run into wiring harness problems as the 88 Renix AW4 uses different ins and outs from the tranny to the OBDII TCU. :(