Comanche bucket seat guide?

wyk

Thanks a bunch, mang. I am gonna visit a junkyard full of cash for clunker corpses next weekend. What else should I keep an eye out for? I have an 86 COmanche.

There's some good threads on the seat swap over in the projects section, with lots of pics. Helped me a ton when I did it. Basically, when you get your XJ seats home, you'll need to drill out the rivets that hold the floor mounting brackets to the rails, then swap them out for the ones on your old MJ seats and bolt them in. One thing to remember, the MJ brackets are taller, so your driving position will wind up being a little bit higher than the old seat. If you're a taller guy, I'd avoid getting the "rocker style" buckets from an XJ because you'll wind up sitting very high, and if you don't have a tilt wheel, may even have problems fitting in the seat.

General rule of thumb is that most interior parts from the front seats forward are direct swaps between similar-era MJ's and XJ's. If you're grabbing parts off the doors, they need to be from a 4dr model, since the doors on the 2dr are too long.

From other Jeeps, some worthwhile swaps are the front sway bar from a V8 ZJ - beefier unit so it improves road manners. If you have/want to add power steering then possibly the steering box from a ZJ, which has a better ratio than the XJ/MJ unit. And the brake booster from a WJ is an upgrade.

If you have the 2.5 TBI 4cyl, and are lucky enough to find a good donor at the junkyard, then my suggestion would be to pull some stuff like the coil, ICU, and injector - as those parts are getting harder to find/expensive at the stores, and it will be handy to have spares.

Thanks a bunch, mang. I am gonna visit a junkyard full of cash for clunker corpses next weekend. What else should I keep an eye out for? I have an 86 COmanche.

I'd also highly recommend looking for a full gauge cluster (pre-91?), window handles, upgraded door panels, full center console (for the bucket seats), maybe some XJ stuff like front grill / turn signals / lower dash /, and a set of Grand Cherokee lower control arms.

Have fun!

There's some good threads on the seat swap over in the projects section, with lots of pics. Helped me a ton when I did it. Basically, when you get your XJ seats home, you'll need to drill out the rivets that hold the floor mounting brackets to the rails, then swap them out for the ones on your old MJ seats and bolt them in. One thing to remember, the MJ brackets are taller, so your driving position will wind up being a little bit higher than the old seat. If you're a taller guy, I'd avoid getting the "rocker style" buckets from an XJ because you'll wind up sitting very high, and if you don't have a tilt wheel, may even have problems fitting in the seat.

General rule of thumb is that most interior parts from the front seats forward are direct swaps between similar-era MJ's and XJ's. If you're grabbing parts off the doors, they need to be from a 4dr model, since the doors on the 2dr are too long.

From other Jeeps, some worthwhile swaps are the front sway bar from a V8 ZJ - beefier unit so it improves road manners. If you have/want to add power steering then possibly the steering box from a ZJ, which has a better ratio than the XJ/MJ unit. And the brake booster from a WJ is an upgrade.

If you have the 2.5 TBI 4cyl, and are lucky enough to find a good donor at the junkyard, then my suggestion would be to pull some stuff like the coil, ICU, and injector - as those parts are getting harder to find/expensive at the stores, and it will be handy to have spares.

Are the steering box bolt patterns going to be the same between comanches and ZJ's?

I have an 86 if it matters, and my steering box is a leaker.

Are the steering box bolt patterns going to be the same between comanches and ZJ's?

I have an 86 if it matters, and my steering box is a leaker.

The 93-98 ZJ boxes are the same 3-bolt Saginaw mounting. Someone wrote it's a "better" ratio. The ZJ boxes have a quicker ratio than the stock boxes 12.7:1 vs. 14.1:1). The quicker ratio is much better on the highway, but maybe not if you use your rig primarily off-road pushing bigger tires.

• 2 months later...