front wiring connection *UPDATE w/new issue*

I picked up my MJ on Saturday and noticed the marker lights and front signals didn't work. The headlights also seemed pretty dim. Today, I took off the front clip and found the issue. The wiring connector from the main harness to the front section is rotten. Most of the wires were broken off of the connector at the harness side. The connector isn't salvageable, so I snipped it off. I have enough slack on both sides to connect the wires but since they were broken off and corroded I can't match them up.

Here's what I have:

From the main harness side:

-Heavy gauge (8ga?) red

-Green/Black

-White

-Green

-Brown

-Gray/Black

-Dark Blue

Front wiring section:

-White

-Black

-Dark Blue

-Gray/Black

-Green

-Brown

The heavy gauge red wire is what's throwing me for a loop. Anyone know the proper wiring connections? I looked through my electrical service manual and I don't see this connector shown.

***UPDATE***

The side marker lights are now working, the signals are sluggish and the indicators on the gauge cluster are constantly on. The parking light filament in the turn signals isn't working either.

This is from the '89 FSM -

-Heavy gauge (8ga?) red -Should be 14 ga RD = Fog lamp

-Green/Black - Should be all Black? = Grounds

-White - 16 ga WT = Low beams

-Green - Light Green? 16ga LG = High beams

-Brown - 18ga BN = Right turn signal

-Gray/Black - 18ga GY/BK = Left turn signal

-Dark Blue - 18ga BL = all markers

Front wiring section:

-White

-Black

-Dark Blue

-Gray/Black

-Green

-Brown

Just match up the main harness wire colors with the header (front) harness :brows:

If you have fog lights, the main harness, or a separate wire from the fog lamp relay should be 14ga LG (Connector AA2) This will be a single connector.

You can just splice each wire with a single connector......in fact, check this link out.....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20583&hilit=connectors

I would use them in your case, I'm bad at soldering :headpop: and soldering is the best way to connect the wires.

Oh, and while your in there, check the turn signal sockets, they go bad very easy, plus 20 years old, and look for a FORD replacement in the HELP section of your local Auto Parts Store. Yes, I would replace them while your doing all this "extra" work.

And.........don't for get to double check the left front.....12ga BK ground on the inner fender (sheet metal)

Thanks WildMan! I figured most of them were matching color to color but the heavy red and grn/blk were making me hesitant. I'm assuming that the red went into the old connector, that way if you had fog lights from the factory, they just plugged the fog light harness in and you have working fog lights.

I have a soldering iron at home, never used it. I think it's time to learn. I'm not a complete noob to wiring, did some major repairs on my old CB450. But I'm more hesitant with the more complex wiring on cars.

Put your update in a new post.......same topic, just a new post........like this one, I almost missed it :oops:

If you color/gauge match each wire, that should not be the source of your problem, now.

Yea, that could be the turn signal socket are bad.......did you read what I said about the replacements???

If the turns on the dash are lit up, that means that a bulb is bad, or the sockets are bad.

The easy way is to replace the bulbs first, and make sure there in the correct position in the socket, also, inspect the sockets, if they even look like there corroded, replace them and save yourself some headaches.

One thing I forgot to mention.......the newer Ford sockets do not color match the MJ's wiring, and I forgot which one goes with each, but with a tester, you could figure it out :D

Put your update in a new post.......same topic, just a new post........like this one, I almost missed it :oops:

...did you read what I said about the replacements???

One thing I forgot to mention.......the newer Ford sockets do not color match the MJ's wiring, and I forgot which one goes with each, but with a tester, you could figure it out :D

I'll put new problems in a new post, sorry about that! Used to doing updates like that on a motorcycle forum.

Looks like I'll pick up some bulbs and sockets and see if that solves the remaining issues. Thanks for all help! At least it's on the road in time for the snow. :D

• 10 months later...
This is from the '89 FSM -

-Heavy gauge (8ga?) red -Should be 14 ga RD = Fog lamp

-Green/Black - Should be all Black? = Grounds

-White - 16 ga WT = Low beams

-Green - Light Green? 16ga LG = High beams

-Brown - 18ga BN = Right turn signal

-Gray/Black - 18ga GY/BK = Left turn signal

-Dark Blue - 18ga BL = all markers

Front wiring section:

-White

-Black

-Dark Blue

-Gray/Black

-Green

-Brown

Just match up the main harness wire colors with the header (front) harness :brows:

If you have fog lights, the main harness, or a separate wire from the fog lamp relay should be 14ga LG (Connector AA2) This will be a single connector. Side Marker Lights

You can just splice each wire with a single connector......in fact, check this link out.....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20583&hilit=connectors

I would use them in your case, I'm bad at soldering :headpop: and soldering is the best way to connect the wires.

Oh, and while your in there, check the turn signal sockets, they go bad very easy, plus 20 years old, and look for a FORD replacement in the HELP section of your local Auto Parts Store. Yes, I would replace them while your doing all this "extra" work.

And.........don't for get to double check the left front.....12ga BK ground on the inner fender (sheet metal)

Thanks for this note. Figured out that I need get those FSMs to add to my notes atleast. Thanks again for the added infos.