AW4 compatibility

A renix AW-4 will be a direct swap... HO ones can be made to work, but I'm not entirely sure what needs to be done.

There's no difference in the actual transmission between column shift and floor shift. If you grab a donor transmission from an XJ, just grab the floor shift kit, and it'll go right into your truck. You can also grab the steering column and swap that in too, to get rid of your column shift.

This will also easily let you upgrade to the full gauge cluster, as from what I understand, ALL column shifts received dummy light clusters.

Make sure you count the output splines on the AW4 as they came in a 21 and a 23 spline version. The change was made around mid 1990. You can bolt up the 23 spline but you'll than need a 23 spline TC as well if you have 4wd.

I found an AW4, but has a 23 spline output. So my NP231 (88) is 21 spline or so I read. Do I have to get a TC with a 23 spline, or can the shaft be swapped.

I've done just about everything else on this thing but I have yet to swap a tranny/TC.

You can swap in a 23 spline input shift into your 231.

:yes:

Just be aware there was atleast one gear pitch change over the years (231 input/planetaries & sun gear)

If you end up with a mismatch it will sound like your t-case is full of rocks.

Ask me how I know. ;)

I found an AW4, but has a 23 spline output. So my NP231 (88) is 21 spline or so I read. Do I have to get a TC with a 23 spline, or can the shaft be swapped.

I've done just about everything else on this thing but I have yet to swap a tranny/TC.

Yes the shaft can be swapped over. However you can often find a used NP231 in the 23 spline flavor for around $75 (at least in my area). I've yet to been able to find just a 23 spline shaft for less than that. Not to mention the work associated with swapping it in.

See if you can find a 23 spline NP231 used and than just sell your 21 spline (or make a doubler out of it).