Can a sport bar be installed WITH a bed liner?

I have a bed liner in the truck now and want to keep it in place. I also have a factory sport bar and just can't get it to fit without having to cut big chunks out of the liner to make both fit inside the bed.

Has anyone done this? Is there a way to get both to fit?

I don't have the MJ sport bar so I don't know about it's fit. Maybe squeeze the legs together? I did try it with a after market bar and it fit very well. Only thing I can suggest is be sure and seal the mounting holes as that part of the bed collects water and once it gets under the liner there goes the neighborhood. I think bed liners should be pulled regular along with floor carpets and check for rust.

you have to cut holes in the bedliner to make it fit. that's how they did it with the factory.

IIRC, they cut a hole out for the actual tube then cut flaps out of it that you can fold out to bolt it down and not have huge holes. I can't explain it proper, and don't have pics...

Why cut holes in the liner? Why not just set the bar on top of the liner and drill the necesary mounting holes? Didn't do it on a Jeep but that's the way I did it with a S10. Works very well.

the ribbing on the jeep MJ liners makes the bar sit too high to bolt down flush to the bed.

an MJ roll bar actually is somewhat structural...it's supposed to have frame plates that bolt it down to one of the bed mounts.

-Pat

Thanks for explaining it. I didn't think about the ribs. The S10 was flat. I still think it's a shame to cut holes in the liner tho. Couldn't it be possible to shave the ribs down even making a flat spot?

you'd end up with holes in it either way. the ribs are bubbled up, and hollow underneath so it would bring it down to the bed anyways.

Yeah, the foot pads of the sport bar need to sit flush against the bed. The problem is that I can't get the foot pads to sit into the bed liner. Cutting out the size of the foot pad isn't sufficient because of the way the bed liner is shaped.

It just doesn't appear to be possible to install both without some serious trimming.

Yeah, the foot pads of the sport bar need to sit flush against the bed. The problem is that I can't get the foot pads to sit into the bed liner. Cutting out the size of the foot pad isn't sufficient because of the way the bed liner is shaped.

It just doesn't appear to be possible to install both without some serious trimming.

you can make it work out with a bit of force, to keep minimal trimming...