New guy with ideas to bounce

Some of you might know me from other sites like Jeepfourm. :waving:

A little background on me might be helpful:

I have gone through 2 XJ's already and still have the second one (kinda)

After wheeling the second one for 6 months and buying a tow rig I decided that it was time to go from this:

To:

And into this:

which will eventually lead into a race buggy for KOH, XRRA, WERock, and alot more letter combo's.

If I can sell my truck I will be picking up a 86 MJ Long bed 2.8 auto 4x4 (D35 right?) for $400 and will be swapping alot from my 92 XJ to the MJ.

Craigslist ad:

86 Comanche Long bed 4x4 automatic. 2.8l 6 cyl. Trans leaks at pan gasket. Floors rotted through but body in great shape with relatively no rust (except for floor). Bed in very good condition as well. Engine runs but would benefit from a tune up

Email from the seller

I do still have the jeep. the floors are flintstone. nothing there. the jeep had the rubber flooring and water got underneath it. the rockers and everywhere around the sides etc is in great shape but the floors are gone. as for driving it i would say no. it leaks tranny fluid through the pan gasket severely, it won't hold enough to fill the tourque converter. you can drive it on to a dolly or trailer or possibly around the block but that would be about it. the body is in better shape then 90% of the comanches out there and like i said if i wait 2 months i will keep it and redo it but the wife is getting on me to do something now hehe. here are a few pics. You will see from the pics the front bumper is off. i do have it in the bed along with the brackets.

If I do get it the first thing I am going to be doing is swapping my Engine (4.0 H.O) and trans (AW4). From what I have seen this is (off the top of my head) a list of things that I should be swapping right away:

Engine

-Wire Harness

-Computer

-Accesories

-Fuel pump (gas tank?)

-Motor Mounts

-Dash Harness (Ill swap the gauge cluster to keep an accurate mileage reading and to know that it works)

Trans

-TCU

-Wire Harness

-Trans mount (Crossmemer?)

-Shifter assembly (everything involved)

Transfer case

-242 swap (because I like the full time option and I won't break it with my setup)

What else would be needed for immediate use?

In the next 5 weeks I want to get quite a bit done so that my parents can use it while I am in basic training.

I would tackle the floors next, Beating sheet metal into shape and then bead rolling, welding, and coating with POR 15 and a bedliner. What bedliner do you use? I have used Herculiner but I didnt like how after it got muddy it never went back to black, I think I have seen a urethane coating that helps with this but I don't know if it works. What about 3M Rubberized undercoating? (for floors top and bottom)

I also have the lift coils and shocks from my xj (3"). I don't have the leafs though as I sold them, A SOA will give me about 5-6" of lift (Do not want it that high) keeping the springs and shackles stock right? (3"~ axle, 2.5-3" leaf packs and perches). If I get stock XJ shackles that drops me 1.5", What about losing a leaf to drop another 1/2"-1"? What have people done for bastard packs? I can always have the spring perches moved and do a SOA.

I will have to take care of all the little things that pop up with it but I want to do alot of maintinence work (as needed) because it is an old truck.

New brakes all around (remove the Load sensing valve)

Fluid changes

Rust repair as needed

Clean the interior/swap stuff

Next would come an updating of the interior/exterior:

97+ front clip

97+ Doors

97+ fenders

Bucket seats from something (leaning towards stock xj seats)

97+ center console w/cupholders :brows:

possible carpet or floormat (kinda iffy on this)

Headliner (don't know what color/pattern)

Window tinting

Rear sliding window swap (I can't stand non sliding windows in trucks)

Homemade offroad bumper. Simple strong and pretty (even with small tires)

When I get back from Basic training in June I am going to do a desert tan paint job, get new tires for it, Lock it, Armor, And wheel the piss out of it.

So what should I be doing and what should I not do?

Sorry for the long winding post and I think this is the right section for this but if not please move it where it needs to be

Matt

Here are the pics I was sent:

To swap the 4.0 into an 86, you MAY or may not need to finnesse the firewall, and you will need to swap the front core suppert in order to use the 4.0 radiator, because theres no way the 2.8/2.5 rad will work with the 4.0. I'm not sure if its just a bolt up job, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with that.... I'm thinking there will be some welding? You seem to be on track with everything else.

You will probably need a rear driveshaft made to fit because the cherokee one will be too short, and the comanche original will be too long.

The 86 most likely has a dana 35 with probably 4:56 gearing... but that will need to be confirmed. 86 metric tonne models came with a nice AMC corporate 20 rear end, which is comparable to a dana 44, but they are extremely rare. Do not campare this 20 to the CJ 20 with its weakness, they are different animals.

Let us know what you find and keep us updated. And start a thread in the projects section!

To swap the 4.0 into an 86, you MAY or may not need to finnesse the firewall, and you will need to swap the front core suppert in order to use the 4.0 radiator, because theres no way the 2.8/2.5 rad will work with the 4.0. I'm not sure if its just a bolt up job, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with that.... I'm thinking there will be some welding? You seem to be on track with everything else.

You will probably need a rear driveshaft made to fit because the cherokee one will be too short, and the comanche original will be too long.

The 86 most likely has a dana 35 with probably 4:56 gearing... but that will need to be confirmed. 86 metric tonne models came with a nice AMC corporate 20 rear end, which is comparable to a dana 44, but they are extremely rare. Do not campare this 20 to the CJ 20 with its weakness, they are different animals.

Let us know what you find and keep us updated. And start a thread in the projects section!

I have no problem "finessing" anything under a 1/2" thick, I have friends with big torches and bigger hammers.

I wasnt sure about the radiator support but I knew I was going to have to swap the radiator and I happen to have an almost new one sitting in my shop. I have basic fabrication tools in my shop, Hobart 140, Grinders, Saws, Hammers, Torch set, And access to a Plasma cutter.

The driveshaft I figured would be a custom job but I have a buddy that builds and races 358 small block modified dirt track cars for a living who can make driveshafts.

I was under the impression that the 4.56 gears were in 4 banger 4/5 speeds only? Since this is an auto (Assuming Torqueflite A904) I will be happy with 3.55 or 4.10 gears (3.55 and I can swap my XJ rear in for SOA) If I have the AMC 20 I will be happier yet.

Thanks for the info.

If I end up buying it I will be posting a build thread as soon as I start working on it.

Matt